Friday 26 March 2021

colour temptation

Pin It now!
 
Nefertiti seems content with this necklace adaptation of Daniela Galli's Primula della Vita motifs😊
We are enjoying a long spring heading into the festival of colours (Holi) after which summer will set in (lunar calendars are way more accurate when it comes to seasons). No wonder I wanted to capture some of those colours in thread through this addictive floral motif shared by the very talented Daniela Galli for an event on facebook in early February.
Primula della Vita! And once started, I couldn't stop! Such a pleasing shape.
Each motif is 3.5cms in Anchor Pearl cotton size 8.
Would you believe that 3 years back I had saved an image hoping to convert the lovely primula flowers into tatting. That Primula mercerium image led me to this cluster which became my template for colour choices. This was my Mom's go-to flower to sketch! 
These are still unblocked and I like the slight overlap of petals! What to do now? A spring necklace! How to join? With leaves! 
On the top is the first leaf I tried, but cut off. Tried a few more ideas, including beads, and rejected all.
Finally settled on simple single-shuttle rings in different sizes. Strategically distributed to join adjacent motifs. 

Following 6 pics are close-ups where the 2nd of each pair has a Swarovski crystal in the center. Which do you prefer?
The core thread remains same through both rounds. After completing the central medallion, only the knotting thread was snipped off and hidden; a new colour was joined as knotting thread for the outer petals - false CTM method.
   
Tatting moves clockwise, all from the front. SCMR with thrown rings, climbing out with mock picot, and lock join are the only techniques for motif. 
TIP: Notice how I always use 2 metal jump rings? It is my way of assuring that even if thread slips off one ring, the other will hold it, till we can fix and close the gap.

My favourite kind of tatted lace - a bit of freeform, overlap, flowers - bringing in Nature in some small way!
These are all the materials used. Anchor Pearl cotton size 8 threads and beads, crystals. The details are notated on the pic.
Crystals sparkle in real life and give weight, body, and a finish to the necklace. 

Many many thanks, Daniela, for this wonderful pattern! I thoroughly enjoyed this project and hope to that the motifs in future as well.
Currrently there's an Easter 3D egg and cute chick pattern that Daniela has shared with the Chiacchierino: Filo, Amore e Fantasia group, if you wish to join in. It's on my to-tat list for later, but these amuse-bouches are so tempting for a relaxing distraction!

12 comments:

  1. Love love love your Spring necklace with its bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb necklace! I really like the simple pattern and how you put it together. I will steal your idea of joining flowers with leaves, i hope you don't mind. I also have a flower necklace waiting to be assembled. Also great idea to use two jump rings instead of one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I wouldn't mind at all, Lavi 😁 Go bonkers but don't forget to upload pics of the finished piece! 💕
      There is another way to attach with tatted curled rings (type CRC in search box - huh, looks like I forgot to post the diagram!), but I wanted the garland effect.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful tatting and beautiful spring colours! ❤💚💛💙💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me happy, Ninetta and just in time for Holi 😍💗

      Delete
  4. Oooh, great flowers!!! :)
    I think both necklaces are great, but I think if I had to choose only one I would like the gems in the center. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby said the same thing, Sue! 😁 If only my photography skills could capture the sparkle...💖

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers I love the necklace and so many possibilities with colour, what a great pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to stop at just 4, Margaret 😁💗

      Delete
  6. Such festive bright colors! And the bead centers really make them pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy colours and sparkle, Emily, what can go wrong...😁😃

      Delete