Monday 8 March 2021

minarets take time

Pin It now!

 ...to build ;-D Well, not so much to tat, but it still took me close to 2 years to get around to it! 

Minarets in the Sky was the 4th of 25 patterns uploaded on 7th July 2019. 

Within 20 days, Grace Atkinson had shared her non-overlapping adaptation, along with her sketched pattern! And it has taken me 20 months to follow her count and tat it ;-D
Above are Grace's models, with the left being her reworked/adapted version.

My original pattern pdf can be downloaded here (2 versions beaded/plain) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUGfdDEBtjH9yUSc71E3OCPF2-63SXMq/view?usp=sharing
And following are all 3 photographed together -
Notice the well-defined curves of adapted model? And none of the rings overlap. Every element has a stable niche - they are made to sit in their place and behave! The decision to post only after I had tatted it has been a good decision since this turned out to be an eye-opening lesson in designing/tweaking!

Design Tweaks by Grace Atkinson :
  1. Unlike the original, the inward rings at the center are joined at their sides as well, thus increasing stability. 
  2. She has linked the 2 large rings in the 2nd round, thus deleting all overlap and simultaneously broadening the sides, which is why the curves are more pronounced and the shape more pleasing.
  3. The dots at the sides are increased from 4ds to 5ds. This might enable easier closure of the tiny rings, but I don't think it makes much of a difference otherwise. I might be tempted to go with the original 4ds.
  4. In her diagram, the count for the small ring at base of the arms is given as 4½ which is how I tatted them (4½ + 4½). However, a close look at her model shows the rings are tinier! Did she work them as (2 + 2)? I would love to try it with the latter. (I will update after asking her).
  5. The side chains of the arms are also joined, which is another factor in keeping elements in their place.  
Worked in Lizbeth size 20. It needed a bit of shaping and blocking, which I believe would not be required if those base rings had been (2 + 2) instead of (4½ + 4½).

All my snowflake patterns can be found here (along with adaptations) - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r4OmXX_c5LjFebMN2UbSNiYqXYETLmoridK0X1YIQco/view

Many many thanks, Grace, for taking up the challenge so successfully,
and teaching me more details about designing through your tweaks.

9 comments:

  1. I think it’s marvelous when designers continue each other’s work. When people battle with the interlocking rings on Under an African Sky, I tell them to find a different way to tat the trees. As far as I know no one has taken me up on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Jane, and love the variations and tweaks that emerge! I remember Tammy L Turner did do a flat version of your trees and shared the count with me on facebook (you know I intend to tat it ;-P)! I will email the details later - her version is also beautiful. 😍💖

      Delete
    2. Oh, thanks, I didn’t know that.

      Delete
  2. What a great snowflake! I'm putting this on my to-tat list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep an eye out for your lovely version, Jill 🤩💕

      Delete
  3. Ah! Collaboration can be beautiful!! I like both versions, and see merit in both! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past few months have been a whirlwind of collaborative projects, each a bit different, each just as exciting! Thanks, Mel 💖

      Delete