Tuesday 23 March 2021

2 quick tips

Pin It now!

Well tips are strewn about my blog - have to stay true to the name of this blog ;-D. Following are 2 quick tips, one of which you may already be doing.

Straightening Unravelled Thread - wind and rest!

  
When we have to unravel/untat stitches, the thread gains kinks (fig1) that are not merely unsightly but often affect future tatting. It happens because the thread balance/twist is disturbed. A quick fix is to simply wind that thread back on to the shuttle or the ball (fig2), allow it to rest for a few minutes (a minimum of 10 minutes), and voila, the thread is almost back to normal (fig3)!

In fig2, I wound the unbalanced thread partly on shuttle and partly on ball to show that either works equally well. To quicken the process, slide the unravelled portion gently between fingers, a few times while winding back.

Simple and quick, right!

Turmeric Powder for Cuts - rub and forget! 
Every Indian household knows the immense benefits of turmeric, one of the basic spices in our cuisine. It has antiseptic and healing properties - internal as well as external. You must've heard of the 'new' rage  'golden milk'? It is simple 'haldi' (turmeric) milk, an almost timeless legacy.  
What is known in Western world as 'alternative system of medicine' is over 3,000 years old based on the more than 5,000 year old Ayurveda (Science of Life) philosophy. 

So anyway, who does not get cuts, including bleeding ones? The quickest way to disinfect the area, stop the blood flow, AND heal the cut almost instantly, is to RUB turmeric powder over the cut. A gentle but deep rub in one direction such that the powder can enter the slit. Rubbing it in hurts obviously, but Do It.
In the above pic, this cut is 3 days old and it is still reddish, sore, hurt every time it came in contact with water and soap. I had Not used turmeric powder - simply used a tissue to stem the flow which took several minutes. 
But I'd finally had enough and rubbed turmeric powder. 
The above pic is taken one day later, AFTER I had spent the entire morning in heavy spring cleaning, with my hands in soapy water, etc.! But I had No problem, no reminder that there was a cut there! 

The trick is to do this deep turmeric rub immediately (I was actually surprised that it worked on a 3-day old cut). It seems to cauterize the tiny blood vessels, thus not merely stemming blood flow, but eliminating all soreness, pain, sensitivity. It kind of closes up the open capillaries and scar tissue starts forming immediately. 
It is like apply, rub, and forget !!!

Remember to try it next time - and rubbing it in is Extremely important, not simply sprinkling/applying it on top. This was my own discovery and my family/friends have become 'converts' ;-D. Turmeric powder is part of my first-aid box, besides the kitchen.

The only drawback is that there is a chance of yellow stains on anything you handle for the next few minutes until you wash it away. And for very deep arterial cuts, it may not work because the flow is much stronger.

14 comments:

  1. My neighbour uses turmeric a lot, treats her dogs with it as well as herself. I use it in cooking but perhaps I need to extend that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! I will try the turmeric for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips!! :)
    So glad your cut is healing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip, never use Turmeric, it will be worth buying some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friends, I am thrilled that you like the turmeric tip - it really does work wonders quickly! 💕 But I do hope you don't need to ever use it - stay safe 🤣😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been banished from the kitchen so I don't cut myself. But I could use the tip with my cuticles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents raised me with ayurvedic medicine, but i don't think turmeric was too easy to find back then so we used other plants for cuts, such as camomille and calendula. Unfortunately i also developed an allergy to them later on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Lavi! 😒
      Each culture has it's own set of traditional medicines/remedies/cuisine which seems to work well for that community as a holistic approach and life style. For instance Indians don't seem to have peanut and gluten allergies in general. 💕

      Delete
  8. I use turmeric often internally for inflammation, but did not know of this property! If I get a bad cut I would use cayenne pepper, but I bet turmeric would not burn quite as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, wouldn't that hot pepper really sting, Emily?! Turmeric does not burn except for the fact that one has to gently rub it in the open wound. Most ointments, including Betadine, have turmeric or it's extract (which I noticed later).

      Delete
  9. I could try out the turmeric tip today. If nothing else it stopped the bleeding on a nasty cut I got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Hope it has healed well, Carin 💝 I truly wish everybody stays safe and won't need to resort to this tip 😃

      Delete