Friday 7 February 2020

such sways and swaggers

Pin It now!

Oo, là là ! Such sways and swaggers! Such are the hearts here – all a-sway with built-in swagger!

So the green one is my 'official' version – much closer to my original sketch. It still needs stiffening if it is to be dangled. But now that I have the shape I want, I will experiment with some techniques and looks to keep the shape without the use of wire or stiffening.

Look what popped up as I worked around the center ! A possible paisley.

After round 1 - This time I thought of not adding an extra ring around the inner one. But on comparing after it was completed, and confirmed by hubby, I added that outer ring using scrap thread. This is why you see some pics with only 1 ring. Although hubby did say that it can be given as an option.
I like the look without any out round! 
Please note, that this round will need to be dampened and shaped before finalising it and proceeding to next round.

The green one, in Anchor size 20 ( Lizbeth size 10) measures 3”x2”.

All picots are very small. 
I think the ring on the left of the 14-14 ring should be 12-12 rather than 11-11 for a more natural gradient.
The rolls/wraps in the outer roll-tatted chains can be adjusted to suit your tatting tension.

With only the lone inner ring. As mentioned, the outer one was added later as additional decoration.
This motif can be worked continuously by climbing out with a 3ds split chain.
For detailed process, tips, and pattern notes - Round 1 ; Round 2 

Many thanks to those who played along! 
You can join the fun and tag me (facebook/instagram) , leave a comment, 
or send me pics of your versions!

Elisabetta de Napoli started a beautiful center in metallic [UPDATE- see complete heart here], 
and Sue worked in size 40. [UPDATE: treble tatting in 2nd round]
Margaret Davies used spiral/Josephine chains instead of roll tatting. 
And then there are Victorian sets that also provide visual texture.
Carollyn Brown tweaked the pattern as you can see, and shared her count and notes. She seems to have straightened out the errant swagger ;-P In her own words ….
"Well I started at top and placed picots every six ds after the initial 2 rings and chain of 3 ds. This way I could go around twice. I had size 80 which was on shuttles and should have used larger thread but it was fun to make thanks can give more counts if needs be
Here are quick numbers I still used 4ds inbetween and I feel this could be tweak some more maybe less stitch count on out side outline.
 This last picture is the count for outer part no cutting threat till end."

Ninetta Caruso sent in her version – oh my it is already part paisley! And true to form, she has used s small curled ring (sCR) with bead, as well as treble tatting. She also linked adjacent thrown rings . The pattern in her words ....
"With one round only, mine should be sewn up somewhere to keep its shape. Otherwise it needed wire in the core, that would be something worth a try.
The inclination to left or right is just personal taste, in my version for example I would tat it again because at the end I like the other face up, but the sCR defines the front side.
I forget to tell you that I started from the bottom mock ring, then this and next rings are connected, that is the first is mock ring: 4-8-8-4, next is ring: 4-7-7-4, etc. decreasing the joint, till the last that is ring: 2-1-3.
I finished in the little heart at the bottom. "

UPDATE : 2 more decorated hearts !

As they say, 'it takes a village …' I love adaptations/derivations and also get to learn and improve my own work. So, unfortunately, this heart is still not ‘completely’ complete. There’s a lot of play left, right?! ;-D
Only after I am finally done with the ideas, I will release a proper pattern. But this should be enough for you to play along and to experiment.

happy tatting

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's always stimulating what shows up in such 'group' projects, Jane 😃

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the fun! 💕🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Nin, for blowing my mind 😉

      Delete
  3. I love all the variations!!! :)
    Thank you for the inspiration!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you continue, Sue. Thanks for playing 😍

      Delete
  4. I love seeing all the variations! I hope to have a little time to play along this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what your play will throw up, Diane 💕

      Delete