Thursday 18 January 2024

neovintage beauties

Pin It now!

A few days back this beautiful gift arrived from Bandini Maisheri who I've known for a few years through FB and our collaboration on the Bandhan Butterfly pattern. Her mother, Harsha, is the main tatter (Harsha's Creations). You might've come across her extensive works in some of the FB groups and on Instagram. 

Like these doilies above, her USP is combining and arranging vintage patterns into new beauties. And doing what is necessary to fit the purpose, eg. adding a corner for an edging or mat, and so on. The gift was a commemoration of 40 years of Harsha's tatting journey and an appreciation of some little help I might've provided to them whenever approached. I love the coasters and they immediately made their way to my dining table!

Now I think these coasters are unique. We've all seen tatted lace around or encased within acrylic sheets for coasters, key chains, etc, like the one I received from Anita. This set, however, is customized acrylic with a tatted doily covering only the top surface. The doily fits snugly and can be removed, washed, or replaced. 

Curious, I asked my friendly group - Anita Barry and Ninetta Caruso for an international perspective, and Madhur Dadlani for an Indian perspective. Madhur admins a WhatsApp group of talented Indian tatters who also sell their creations and she said she'd ask them if anyone has made something similar. Neither of the three have come across something quite like this and do consider it to be truly unique!

What about you? Have you come across tatted lace covers for acrylic mats? Or something along the same lines? Do tell.

There's a ton more tatted stuff they do and sell, including complete table linen sets, saree and blouse laces, bags, scarves, etc. etc. Mind you I am not mentioning Harsha's Creations for any kind of returns. It was a way to satisfy my curiousity and appreciate the immense work Harsha has done. Wishing her several more decades of happy tatting and spreading beauty from old to new.

Many many thanks, Bandini and Harsha, for this wonderfully unique handmade gift, and to my friends who responded promptly with their thoughts and observations.

18 comments:

  1. Very beautiful coasters!!! What a treasure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely gift! I haven't seen tatted coasters like this, but I did see a quilted version. In my opinion, the quilting made the fabric portion too thick. I could see myself setting a full glass of red wind off-center and it tipping over (what a waste of good wine!). The tatted version would be much better I think. Lucky, lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mel, this set is sturdy and won't tip over easily. The height isn't barely anything. 💗

      Delete
  3. You’ve been given a gift of great magnitude from someone’s heart & passion. Lucky & well-deserved you!! Cheers, Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly treasured, Anita, like all other gifts I've received from kind friends 💗

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous coasters, a wonderful gift. Practical too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, Jane - practical is what I like 💗

      Delete
  5. Those are very pretty and decorative. But I wonder which came first, the doily or the acrylic? A friend once suggested I encase tatted coasters in poured resin for longevity. I'd like to think the tatting is the main event of such a combination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good question, Lavi, and I absolutely agree that tatted lace should be the highlight, which in this case it is 💗

      Delete
  6. I have 4 trivets that my grandmother crocheted a top on a pressed cardboard circle. She made them in the 1950's and I still use them. They do come off for a hand wash when needed. Mine are 6", 7" and 10" across.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. We are enjoying their beauty, Anetta ❤️

      Delete
  8. Przepiękne podstawki. :)
    Wspaniały prezent. :)
    Nie spotkałam takiego sposobu na podstawki - bardzo ciekawe to jest.
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, splocik, for your input and kind words 💖

      Delete
  9. An absolute treasure to the tatting world. :)
    All the best
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete