Saturday 23 October 2021

when time flies

Reworked patterns from Frau Eleonore Endrucks-Leichtenstern’s ‘Die Schiffchen-Spitszen’, 1920, for Endrucks 1920 Project
When time flies the best of intentions cannot stop it! Marina was an early bird, selecting 2 patterns in Nov 2020 and starting immediately. She even went to the trouble of watching videos to improve her block tatting after her first trial. And within days she sent me a beautiful snowflake pattern from her shop so that we got an idea of how she presents her patterns! No problem … the hidden beauty of this community project is that we have an eclectic mix of presentation styles, with something to learn from each.

Time had seemingly flown so fast that it was July 2021 in a blink and time to hurry! But the more you are in a hurry, the faster time goes by, especially if your pc doesn't cooperate!
My pc was crashing like crazy and losing data, so I had to restart drawing several times.
Such behind-the-scene roadblocks rarely get highlighted by a crafter, but we all go through such hurdles to produce the best we can. And that she did!

Following is Endrucks’ pattern #6 where she turned the original edging into a lovely Square Motif with a simple skipping of chains. 
 
As with all patterns in this book, the edging uses block tatting and thrown/floating rings besides the regular chains and rings.
Look closely and you will notice the square motif is tatted in 2 colours - white and ecru.
If we skip the thrown/floating rings on either side of the block rings, we should be able to get yet another square turned the other way (as evidenced in pattern #22).

Despite being a bit “intimidated” by pattern #34 initially, she turned out a beautiful doily worked in one pass using Endrucks’ method of climbing out (I hadn’t noticed this earlier)! Resourceful tatters can use split chains and split rings to climb out. Her clear diagrams show each row with count and direction, and she has included needle tatting hints.

My ever-vigilant partner, Ninetta, noticed that her year of birth suggested she was relatively young and was curious about her tatting background. Marina graciously sent in this short write-up of her tatting journey –

"... I am from Belgrade, Serbia a small country in Europe. I found tatting through internet, by chance, while looking for next crochet project. There were some interesting earrings that I could tell were not crochet, so I did an image search, and was stunned by the beauty of this new thing I have found... That was late 2015. Here in Serbia, there is only a few people that know what tatting is, I know of 5 or 6 tatters from around here, and I only talked to one of them on the phone. Everything I know, I picked up from you tube, by rewinding videos many many times and reading blogs, like yours and few other tatters. There is no tatting thread that can be purchased here, only crochet or embroidery, so I use that or some blends I make from sewing and decorative thread. Same goes for shuttles. I used to cut plastic into flat shuttle shape, until regular shuttles I ordered online arrived. I think I love tatting so much because it is so challenging, once you think you have it figured out, new thing pops up, and there you go again... And one more thing, I have never seen tatting, that somebody else made, in person, only on photos and videos... That's it for now. Thank you and Ninetta for all the work you are doing for this lovely craft 💗"

It is truly amazing the wonderful designs she has created in this short span of time! I’ve been saying Marina, but you might recognise her as Mad Jar Tatting (sometimes Mad Zar, depending on the translator). All our contributors are on Facebook and you can visit her page here - https://www.facebook.com/mad.jar.tatting/  

Her etsy shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/MadJarTatting) is a treasure to scroll through! Some of my favourites are her Sea Star and Dragon Egg patterns! Imagine a Dagger as a bookmark! I sorely wish I’d had the time to offer to test tat her Manohary Doily when she called for volunteers. (manohari is Hindi for enticing). Her designs span simple to advanced, 2D to 3D, jewellery to lace. Her 3D Pine Cones and Sunflower are enticing, as is her latest 3D tatted shuttle.

I had the happy chance to try out her stacked rings earrings in 2019 – a technique that immediately roped me in! Applying techniques is something this talented designer does really well and is a sure way to tempt me!

Though time flew again from July to Oct before I got this opportunity to publicly thank Marina, I know she understands the behind-the-scene issues and will forgive me for my lapse. Ninetta joins in to profusely thank Marina for her valuable contribution and perseverance against all odds.

**********************
Endrucks 1920 Project is a community project, we welcome every one of you to join in! Please let us know where we can find your renditions and derivative tatting!
We created the hashtag #Endrucks1920Project, so please use it for your pics to show up in a search.
We all enjoy sharing and the project is awaiting every one of you!
All info and links (original and modern) are in the Endrucks 1920 Project Document, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17LEVftXweztBIOWh4sL4BB7bX65ssoOsOn4oXIgCepY/view
Remember there are many more modernised patterns, derived and extracted patterns/ideas, already listed in the project document, with more still to come! So, do visit and scroll through.
*********************

With love and gratitude,
muskaan and Ninetta

Related posts –
Endrucks’ #22 square derivatives - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2015/11/pattern-eleonores-angels.html
Endrucks’ method of continuous tatting - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2021/07/continuous-paths.html
Stacked Rings Earrings - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/11/sidetracked.html

15 comments:

  1. Marina's pattern for the tatting shuttle in 3d is amazing, she's very creative. Thank you Muskaan for introducing us Marina 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a great chalenge and pleasure to work on this project with you. Thank you for your kind words and patience. I am still not happy with my block chains, but I hope I can get better in time. Thank you and Ninetta for all the work you are doing to present this beautiful craft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers like yourself Marina, this project has become a superb resource and pleasurable journey. 💖🥰💖
      And it has forced us to take a deeper look into the original book and the designer, as well as their modern counterparts and it has been truly enlightening. Thank you once again ☘🌺☘

      Delete
  3. Marina's tatting is really nice! I can definitely relate to her story about how she learned tatting. The dagger bookmark sounds fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to learn how somebody, especially an accomplished designer, got into tatting in the first place, isn't it Lavi... gives one a better appreciation 💖🌺💖 I love the way she uses different techniques to create designs!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous works!! :)
    I love the bottom picture design!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sue, and to think it is fairly intermediate level of tatting. And Endrcuks' method of climbing out is very basic. 💕🌺

      Delete
  5. Love the way your project has introduced us to different tatters. I saw the tatted shuttle on Facebook, glad to have some background on the creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have indeed been fortunate to get to make friends with such wonderful tatters from across the globe, Jane 💕💖 And guess what?! We chatted some more a couple of hours back and she has gifted the 3D shuttle pattern to Nin and myself as a thank you ... wow she is so sweet 💝🥰

      Delete
  6. This project has found some inspiring tatters, I saw her tatted shuittle on Facebook and she has certainly produce some brilliant designs, Its nice to find out more about her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret 🥰💖 It has been such a fulfilling project is so many different ways!

      Delete
  7. Hello Marina! Beautiful work with Endruck's pattern! Great patterns on Etsy, too! Loved reading about you on Muskaan's blog. Many, many thank you's to Muskaan and Ninetta for this blog about you. More thank you's for bringing the tatting community together!!! It's thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a heap, Anita, for your sweet words 💖😍🥰 The sentiment is mutual and though this project has taken over my tatting life, I know I'll feel a bit bereft after all the excitement. We've been able to 'meet' so many wonderful contributors across the globe!

      Delete