Wednesday 18 March 2020

edged doily

Pin It now!

I took a digital break for a couple of days and found my inbox swamped with emails. Will get to them tomorrow. Thank you for your concern and wish you good health and lots of creativity.

Clover Wreath Doily
Ever since I was reminded of this, I was keen on designing and finishing off the edging. 
  
This is where I’d left off in 2017. A round of 6 medallions around the central one.

I love this shape and would’ve stopped there if it weren’t for the asymmetry of swirl joins.
Quilters are well aware of the versatility of hexagons - create any outline you want by tessellation!
In Anchor size 40, it measures 17 cms x 15 cms 
While I like the swirl join (there is a mistake in mine), I thought it made the focus shift to the filler rings. Hence added another complete round without the swirl join.
If you see light and darks shades in this round, it is not your eyes playing tricks! I had bought 2 balls of this shade years back and stored the 2nd ball nicely. But when I started working off it, it was darker :-( 
In Anchor size 40 -
4 motifs, straight - 14.5 cms
1 motif - less than 4cms

Edging Trials
Refreshed my memory with the opinions and suggestions here.

Clockwise: The top 2 pics in the collage are from 2017. I’ve come some way in designing confidence since then ;-P
3 ideas tried in the bottom right pic (tatting moves counterclockwise). Happened to show this to Ninetta and she offered valuable suggestions. No, the tuft picot didn’t work (left center pic), but the clover and chain curve change did as seen in 3 more repeats (bottom left pic)!
What I forgot, though, was that the trials were worked in the 7 motif piece which had only 6 motifs in the round. When I tried to duplicate this in the larger piece, I realized my error! There was a motif Between the ones at each corner! Back to the sketch board, but it was very easy this time.

What do you think of this?
I got my wish of all filler motifs having 6 rings wherever they may be.
This is only the first of 3 edgings.... After completing all 3, I will upload the pattern.


All Clover Wreath posts, pics, & notes 

14 comments:

  1. I like hearing about the evolution of designs. For me, the clover at 5pm sticks out too much. It’s interesting how changing one element then requires other changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too 😃 Jane, which pic are you referring to - could it be the camera angle?

      Delete
    2. The bottom one. I don’t think it’s the camera angle.

      Delete
    3. 😍 Thanks, Jane 💗💖💗 Actually that's my lap 😉 The doily is not lying flat in that image, hence the distortion. All points are the same otherwise, as seen in the lead pic.

      Delete
  2. Your explanation has given me confidence to continue trying, with limited success, to get it right on my current design. Thank you!
    Have you tried working the pattern in a color combination? Sometimes that helps me see something I need to tweak faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel 💙🍀 The other 2 mats I am finishing now have 2 colour motifs. However, the edgings are slightly different. Let's see how they work out. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work. I'm impressed. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks, magbod 🌸💗💖💗🌸 I'm spreading my wings 😉

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am late to this game. I have searched your blog, but haven't been able to find the pattern you mention might be coming for this doily. If you have published it, would you mind sending me the link? Perhaps the name has changed?
    Thanks very much.
    Best
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I did not release it. However, if you give me some way of reaching you, I can send the motif pattern & joining details immediately. The full pattern pdf will take a short time since it is almost done; however I'd like to complete my present project before taking up the doily pattern.
      Leave your email address (preferable) or pm me on fb. 🌹💖🌹

      Delete