Friday 6 March 2020

meet me and continue

Pin It now!

Meeting with Tatting
Skip over to Anetta's blog to get to know me a bit. If you are interested, that is! 

As I mentioned earlier, Anetta has started a monthly series where readers get to meet a different designer each month. Said designer shares her/his tatting journey along with a free snowflake pattern. At the end of the year, at least 12 snowflakes will be ready compounded by the joy of tatting along with friends, and learning new techniques. It is also her endeavour to educate about copyright and giving credit even when a pattern is free.

Everybody is invited to play along. Before the end of the month, send a pic and link of your snowflake by clicking the 'blue frog' button. Anetta will further summarise all entries in a separate post the following month.
Renulek opened the year with a beautiful snowflake, followed by a couple from Anne Orr (due to unavoidable circumstances), and I was invited to share in March for which I chose the Rosette Enchained Snowflake & Ice Drop
Check out Anetta's beautiful 2-colour version. She even prepared a lovely pictorial for split chain, leading up to the pattern. 
And don't forget to visit the post again at the end of this month to check out what the talented tatters send in.
Seeing the patterns shared so far, I am tempted to tat and send in entries, too. May be I’ll catch up later in the year.

{{{
Continuing with the topic of continuous tatting ….

Mock Picot to climb out and Changing chain curve
In my previous post, I spoke about Sheetal’s question on facebook, which led to 2 methods of climbing out with a mock picot when there is a bead at the base (down bead or bead on core thread). {If the beads are on the picot (up beads) and we need to climb out with a mock picot, then I described it for the Sitka Rose}.
Sheetal uploaded a pic of her 2nd round – a flower motif {! The petals are very similar to the rosette enchained ones where the chain changes it’s curve. But her brilliant stroke was adding beads on picots to the concave segment! Thus the beads face inside. Love it!!! If you are a member of the Just Tatting facebook group, you can read and see the entire post.

{{{
…and about continuous threads...

Extending thread in CTM or CTM with Extra Shuttle 2 thread!
A post without a pic is like a faceless body! So here’s a little trick to extend the length of shuttle 2 thread when winding continuously. 
Pony shuttle bobbins are fairly small. For the Split Ring Heart I didn’t want to have to reload later. 
So, after cutting and winding the Sh2 bobbin fully, I wound the remaining length of Sh2 thread on a spool between the 2 shuttles (red is Sh1 & yellow is Sh2). Look closely and you can see which thread goes where.
I started with the inner clover, working it as mock rings, thus saving on Sh1 thread.

{{{


10 comments:

  1. You are too smart for me!! :) Great idea with the thread!!
    Thank you for teaching us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😄😄😄😄 Thanks, Sue 💗💖💗

      Delete
  2. I dont know how you do it, brilliant idea with thread
    Thank you for the tatting lesson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have it's limitations - dependent on the pattern.
      Thanks, Margaret, for checking out Anetta's blog ... it is mortifying to see nobody is interested in getting to know me better, even when it's from the horse's mouth ;-P

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear! You fried my mind on this one! I know it works. I can see that it will. But, my dear feeble brain cells. I gotta try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Anita, you know you can do it, and better ;-D You can work all normal rings as mock rings, using up the thread on the spool. By the time you reach the split rings, this extra thread would've been used up and you can use your 2nd shuttle ;-P If I was more adventurous, I would've started at one of the right side rings, instead of clover.

      Delete
  4. Do you use the ball of thread as a third shuttle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lej619, I use the wound thread as an Extra length of Sh2 since the actual Sh2 will be needed at a later stage for split rings.
      Now that I think, another way could be to wind Sh1 and leave it attached to ball. Tat till Sh2 is needed. At that stage, pull out length from ball and wind Sh2.
      Do you need more pics?

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your journey. I read your get to know me it's nice to see a glimpse of you. I myself am a 2 year old tatter and have appreciated blogs and tips such as yours. I learned to tat by watching on line you tube videos and the online tatting class has been very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with the tatting community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words, Debra 💗 I can totally relate with your enthusiasm and eagerness to learn. Happy tatting and learning, always 🤩

      Delete