Tuesday 25 September 2018

Usha's motifs

Pin It now!
PLEASE NOTE : The sequence of posts has altered when I was updating my posts yesterday, causing my newest post in the Cluny tatting series - hitch the loom - to mover 2 posts down, in case you were wondering or missed it. Blame it on Blooper's (err Blogger's) whimsies.

  
For the last few days I’ve been tatting up a mini-storm of Blossoms Motifs while working on the numerous pictorial presentations. A quick break was in order when Usha’s Split Ring triangle motif turned up.
The near-perfect circular rings attracted me in the first place. And circles that formed an equilateral triangle. It is certainly impressive to successfully convert such a shape into actual tatting.
Large rings - whether normal, split, or scmr - often close into a circle rather than teardrop.


In Lizbeth size 40, the sides measure 1½”.
Having mistakenly made a picot at the corner of the first ring, I repeated it for the other 2 corner rings.
In the pattern all rings are split rings. However, one can start the motif with a normal ring, and add new thread for the 2nd ring and onwards.
I ended with a normal ring, sewing in the tails. But one Can hide tails in the last split ring without sewing.
Future Idea : It would be interesting to see this motif repeated as a magic pathway to form a larger lace fabric! And notice how one can form a diamond by removing 2 and adding 1 ring ?!

Many many months back, I had also attempted Usha's Fringed Petals motif but worked only the first 3 rounds. What I liked about this is how the clever designing of 3rd round lifts the rings of the previous round, ending in a raised and curved textural effect! Notice how they are ‘normal’ in the 2nd round (above pic), but suddenly acquire that 3D look when the next round is worked (pic below)?

However, the working was fiddly and I was not quite happy working through it. I would definitely like to see more of that curving effect, though !! 
My apologies for not completing the motif - I intended to, but never got around to it. I might some day when I find where it's run off to ;-D
This motif also uses long picots with CWJ (lp_cwj), notes for which I shared here and again in the beaded version here.

An enjoyable break, thanks Usha :-))) Now back to some more pictorials - I'm on a roll and want to make the most of it while I can (but can I beat my own record of 15 posts in Sept 2017?!). I hope you will be tolerant through it all :-D

6 comments:

  1. Those beautifully round rings caught my eye. I will check out Usha's post. I also like the effects of that snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great triangle and fringed petals motif!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see you tatted the triangle Muskaan! Thank you so much. Its come out so perfect! The mistaken picots on corner rings also look great. Yes this can be a magical triangle.The Fringed Petals yet to be test tatted. You have to block each round Muskaan, then the next round is easy to tat. I invite other tatters too to test tat my Fringed Petals. It will surely be fun to tat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Usha, and thanks for the tip :-)))

      Delete