Sunday 25 September 2022

balcony diary

Pin It now!

 It's been a while since I last posted pics of my some of my plants. Itching for an update. 


Meanwhile my annual SQUIRREL made a cozy home for itself in our bird house, stuffing it with what-nots, prancing around, lying atop the roof, entertaining us, and in 3 weeks or so before I could rouse myself to take pics, it left overnight taking all its what-nots with it! I have never understood how the sheer net it manages to snag from somewhere every year, does not get snagged in it's claws.

The CROTON had 3 main stems. Very soon leaves of the 2 shorter ones withered, browned and drooped. The way it happened (all together instead of single leaves) sent alarm signals to my brain. Started looking under the leaves, and sure enough there were tiny brown spore sacs and even one tiny green leaf-shaped bug! I wiped the underside of each leaf down with vinegar and it worked. Saved this and you can see the new green shoots.

The CHILLI plant gave off 30+ blooms at one count, with an equal number of buds-in-waiting. Not a singe one turned into a chilli! Then noticed the top leaves of our chilli plant crinkling. shrinking and twisting. Yes, there were those same pests. So we bought Neem Oil and hubby sprayed it on all plants (including the croton). Worked like a charm and new leaves sprouted.
Eventually I pruned off the tips and some of them are arranged in a tiny pot adorning my study table above. You can still see some distorted older leaves.
We'll wait till end of winter and might replace this plant altogether.

The FICUS is thriving! So many new sap green shoots and some random figs/berries, too. Aerial roots have anchored in soil.

LEMON TREE - We've harvested 4 lemons from our tree and there are 3 more waiting to ripen. At present there is a stagnancy in growth. Growth hormone spray is on it's way. We're hoping it will make a difference.
The arrangement above has a couple of lemon twigs I snipped while pruning back in August. Like I said, I find it difficult to simply throw them away.

The JADE or ELEPHANT BUSH plant has shed most of its old leaves, though the twigs were lengthening with new leaves. I've cut off short lengths and planted the cuttings in another tiny pot for our bathroom in a spot where we get sunlight. 
This same spot has seen Money Plant cuttings in water in several past seasons.

The ASPARAGUS FERN is lush and some new fronds displayed pretty little white flowers. No new fronds for a while now.

The OREGANO/AJWAIN is another sight of beauty. I haven't dried leaves in a while, happy to watch the shape it takes, however one of the twigs will be planted for the 2nd bathroom later.

The GUAVA plant died off fairly quickly (in late August). For sure it wasn't the same pest because leaves dropped off one by one. It did however give us one ripe guava. There was some brown spotting on one side, but the fruit was sweet.

Meanwhile hubby bought a few more plants last week, totaling a dozen now.
This is the MOGRA (Arabian Jasmine) plant with it's first bloom and such a heavenly scent! I went around like Emperor Shahjahan (he had a rose, though) with it between my fingers, sniffing in the aroma all day and night!
We've had this in my earlier gardening stint and simply love the flowers. 2 more bloomed today.
You can see our next-in-line to ripen (5th) lemon on the left-center there.

This is a SNAKE plant variety we've never seen before. Despite what the camera shows, there is not a spot or tinge of yellow anywhere! It feels like snow. Love it.

On the left is a tiny portion of MINT (Pudina). This is the 3rd time we've bought mint and are hoping 3rd time lucky. I have my doubts because it does not get enough sunlight. In my earlier 'garden' when the mint thrived even from home cuttings, the pot was placed on the balcony parapet. It is no longer an option. So let's see - perhaps the growth hormone will play a role?

Our RAM TULSI (Holy Basil) plant has weathered the fall and is again giving off new leaves and shoots.
And the CUURY Leaf plant is in good condition, too.

This is my house plant diary for now - a way to keep track of their progress or otherwise.
Gardening brings such fun, joy and satisfaction, but a few disappointments and heartaches, too.

8 comments:

  1. What a prolific balcony! Wonderful. I wonder how the bugs got there? They couldn’t fly into the closed in balcony. On a plant you brought in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane :-))) Yes, I expect they came in with the croton itself or the batch of plants we bought with it. Before that batch, all was well. Hubby does all the spraying and daily care, and I am the resident botanist, LOL

      Delete
  2. Beautiful plants and interesting information about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful plants. I have good intentions but apparently no 'green thumb.' I manage to kill any plant that makes its way into my home. DH bought me an orchid and he is now the official caretaker. I just look at them....they seem to do ok that way. :)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least one of you has a green thumb, Steph, and you get to enjoy them without spending any energy, LOL.

      Delete
  4. How beautiful! Many of your plants are new to me, for ex the guava plant, others can be found here too. The jasmine scent is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the guava is tropical fruit, Nin, and I prefer it a bit on the raw side than fully ripened. Jasmines are indeed heavenly! :-)))

      Delete