Monday 23 August 2021

more reflections

Pin It now!

Clearly I'm not done with that motif yet! This is the snowflake version from pattern #17 I mentioned here. With this snowflake, we will now have earrings/pendant; 2 square frames/lace (one by Reiko Akamatsu - see below); edging/insertion/etc.; and a hexagonal motif (round 1 of snowflake); all adapted or derived from the same pattern! And yet, it continues to entice me, though I will be holding off for now in order to concentrate on completing the main pattern pdfs for those on my list (there seems to be no end to the admin work on this project) so that we can see the 'completion' of Endrucks 1920 Project in November.

I continue with the name given to the edging by Ninetta - Reflections. Above is both a trial culminating in a prototype for the snowflake adaptation. The 3 arms on the left of the tail ends are the final count. Pattern will be shared for free later.

The snowflake is worked continuously in 2 rounds. Above is the first round and it creates a standalone hexagonal motif! With the right beads, it could be a beautiful pendant.
In Anchor Pearl cotton size 8, each side is 3cms; and across it is 5½ cms.

Techniques used: 2 shuttles, thrown/floating rings, large mock rings, downard/inward facing picots, lock join.

TIP: In order to get the beautifully domed arch as in the topmost arm, it is important to keep the joining picot between chain and end thrown rings longer than usual. This avoids any pull on the chain when the joining picot is small. This same tip works for the earrings, edging, etc.

Unlike the edging, I had deliberately avoided decorative picots in this pattern to gauge the bare look. The picots in the center were there only in case a central ring was needed. So I folded and sewed in the decorative picots in the center. 
Now that's a bit too bare, right?! Looks better with those picots around the central space.

Ninetta suggested onion rings for the large empty space - she drew over the pic I sent - and suggested we could have 2 versions with and without the onion rings.

And here are 2 trials on the same flake. I like the one on the right better. 2 picots create an interesting feature, don't you think? 

So, what do you think of this snowflake without decorative picots? Should there be more picots as in the Reflections edging here. And what do you think of the onion rings?

💚💙💚
Since I did not post her pic earlier when I shared my Superimposed Squares adaptation, here's how Reiko Akamatsu tweaked the straight lace into a square, adding some points to the originally curved portions and downplaying the smaller points (direct link to her pdf - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JANNY3JWRJb-4BgLV5XEB4unDrrFhNQ7/view). The block chains create a denser curvilinear garland within!
And check out our gratitude post for a few more pics (and links) of this incredible artist from Japan.
 
Okay, here is my simple adaptation for comparison. Notice the tweaks she made and the effect has has created?

For all updates and details, scroll through the patterns & arrangements in the Endrucks 1920 Project

16 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly intrigued by the work you and Ninetta are doing on the Endrucks 1920 Project! Generally speaking, I like picots on snowflakes. However, with this design I like the bare look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen anything yet, Diane 😁😃😁 Our contributors are also doing an amazing job of extracting patterns (including 3D) 😍
      Thanks for your feedback on the picots - due to paucity of time, one cannot tat each and every variation/version 💕

      Delete
  2. To me, the onion rings are a bit too much. I like the picots in the centre though. Top picture version is superb. Hats off to you all for ‘seeing’ so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, thanks for your feedback, Jane 🥰 When we first look at the original white models from 1920, they are not quite appealing. Yet the challenge and the endless possibilities is continuing to bring us pleasure 😉😁😍

      Delete
  3. Bravo, Muskaan! It looks laconic and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, thank you so much Elena ❤💞❤

      Delete
  4. Such awesome designs!!! :)
    Love the first snowflake!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a heap, Sue 💖😍 The general consensus has been hugely behind the same 😃

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ah yes, now you will make me tat all versions huh Nin?! 😁😉💖

      Delete
  6. I love the snowflake, I hope you will share the pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I will be sharing the pattern, Margaret 💖😍 If only somebody could lend me some time - at least a couple of hours daily 😁😃

      Delete
  7. All the versions of the snowflake that you've shown us are pretty, but I really love the open look of the first one. The onion rings make a denser texture. My tatting preference is almost always a light, airy look to the lace. Other people probably like a thicker, more dense 'fabric,' and that's good, too, just not the texture I prefer. :)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, Steph 💖😍 I had thought the open space was too much till I changed the stitch count of the outer round - then I was happy with the proportion. Picots would add more airiness, don't you think? But I'll leave that to individual tatters 😁
      Let me see how much time I get to tat ...

      Delete
    2. I really like the clean lines with as few picots as possible. I'm one of those tatters who often removes 'decorative' picots. Lots of picots make things look frilly, and sometimes that's a good thing, but there is a lot to be said for an unadorned line that doesn't hide a beautiful design under too much 'fluff.' :D It's an individual thing, I think. Some people like lots of picots, others, not so much. ;) The fewer picots there are, the less there is to have to sew down when you sew it to something, too.....of course, if you're sewing it to something, you have to have SOMETHING to sew down, either picots or stitching into the stitch caps. But it's a lovely design, with nice lines and good proportion.
      StephanieW

      Delete
    3. I Totally agree with you, Steph 💖💖💖 I, too, like clean lines, and often denser designs.
      When I first saw colourways, I was enthralled and bought them instead of solid colours. What a huge mistake! Colourways often hide the real design unless used judiciously and carefully.
      I prefer not to sew down picots. I make the stitch at the base of the picot so that some lift remains - a personal whim 😁

      Delete