Friday 20 August 2021

ginger fresh

Pin It now!

 Fresh ginger has such an alluring aroma and taste and is good for digestion, etc. However it has a hot essence, and is best consumed during winters when it generates heat within the body. 'Adrak ki chai' (ginger tea) is a staple in most Indian homes during winter months and to ward off cold and cough.

Stephanie Wilson and I have intermittent discussions on cooking and food - she has acquired quite a taste for Indian spices, and dishes! She shared how she grates and freezes fresh ginger (in tiny globs) to simply dump into the dish that is cooking.

Here is what I've been doing since, in order to get the freshness of ginger in my tea! And to understand why I am not a monkey, check out this popular Indian saying/muhaavra for an interesting read - https://www.quora.com/There-is-an-Indian-Hindi-phrase-that-says-Bandar-kya-jaane-adrak-ka-swad-Why-was-this-made 

I use a planar to slice the root. This time you can see the pink freshness of the new root.

Because it is a new root, there is more moisture.
So anyway, I spread the slices on the tray and left it on the table for a few hours for this extra moisture to evaporate.
Then I place the tray in the freezer. This step ensures that the slices do not stick together.

The next day or so, I fill an air-tight mason jar with the frozen slices and shove it back into the freezer.
Since I forgot to take pics earlier, you can see the frost on the cool bottle.
Slicing gives me the additional option of crushing or julienning them if I need it for any recipe.

Each morning, I pick out a few slices, and along with 1 clove and 2 black peppercorns, and sometimes a couple of tulsi leaves (holy basil) in my mug of water, I microwave it for absolutely fresh-tasting herbal tea!
Yes, we've tried many commercial brands (hubby's choice) of ginger tea, etc. but there is absolutely nothing like this (in my opinion). Freezing the slices reduces my prep time each morning, yet gives me the full fresh aroma of fresh-cut ginger.

So, are you a monkey or not?!

Thank you, Stephanie, for making my life easy 😍 

12 comments:

  1. I couldn’t access the article so I can’t answer the question! I use a lot of ginger in cooking, just keep it in the fridge and chop what I need. I sometimes crystalise it, though I haven’t done so for a while . Your method is simpler than that, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that, too Jane, but this becomes 'instant'😁
      The article is an answer in quora.com. If you type "bandar kya jaane adrak ka swad", it should hopefully lead you there. But you are definitely not a monkey since you like and understand ginger 😍

      Delete
  2. A clever way to keep fresh ginger! I copied your recipe, but alas, the basil growing in my kitchen is of a more Italian flavor....perhaps lemon basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware, Mel, use the microwave only if you are already adept at making tea in it -- the ginger, etc. tend to make the water spill over if not watched. And, after a first boil, you can cover and let rest for a few minutes to allow the flavours to seep in properly. Then final boil for tea. 💕
      Instead of basil, dunk about 10 fresh mint leaves - great brew!

      Delete
  3. I love having it in the freezer, ready to use. Saves time - you do all the chopping and grating in advance - and my ginger is always fresh. Glad this works for you, too.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can vouch for it, Steph, and have been doing it ever since you shared your excellent tip last year! Thank you 💕😍

      Delete
  4. Actually freezing is a wonderful method to keep the original flavours. I usually put there pesto (basil) prepared by me and ready-to-use fresh parsley, onions, carrots and celery. Fresh ginger is rare here but I've seen it, taken and tasted. I haven't thought to do an herbal tea with it, that is for next time I find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I've never frozen veggies, Nin. Tried a couple of times (for carrots) but unless they are parboiled and frozen (like peas), the whole carrot becomes soggy. I have, however, 'mastered' the storage methods for each veg/fruit over the years, to suit me, such that they last for at least a week. 💕

      Delete
    2. I don't parboil carrots etc., just put them in the mixer and then - raw - in the freezer in small containers (for ex those for ice cubes). I use the cubes without defrost.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Nin 💕 So you can use this 'puree' for soups, sauces, and gravies?
      I use carrots cut as cubes or thick, slices, or fingers. Which is probably why they don't last without parboiling. But I will give it one more try after all these years. 😃😁

      Delete