Thursday 6 May 2021

has tatting made you cry

Pin It now!

 Oh, I've had plenty of frustrating moments over the years - be it figuring out a technique, perfecting my work, designing and subsequent trials, even creating pattern pdfs. But this one takes the cake! For numerous days now, I've been working on presenting a pattern and it has left me on the verge of tears almost every night, sigh. Each time I felt I had it all figured out, I would discover yet another issue and so much of my day's work would go to nought. Ninetta has been a solid and helpful shoulder to cry on, though, preventing me from actually shedding tears which would've agitated hubby dear 😉. 

Finally, I took up my shuttles (which I had avoided for so many weeks in order to stay focused) and have begun tatting it myself. Now I am happy with hands that are tatting instead of typing every evening and eyes that are gazing at cheerful colours.

Quick Tip: Notice the starting tail at the bottom? I leave it there till the end of project for many reasons, one of which is that is helps me identify the frontside from the backside at a glance.

The straw that killed the camel's back was when, after days and hours of intense drafting, I finally noticed this -

the original model
the original diagram

Notice the difference? Add to this the fact that this pattern can be worked entirely in one pass as a combination of 2 standalone laces 18/a and 18/b, with a few tweaks to climb around/over. And each of the 2 parts was beautifully tatted and presented by 2 talented tatters with hugely different styles of working and presenting. Using those to present the combo lace meant frequent references back and forth - confusing and demotivating to any tatter attempting it. Reconciling pics, patterns, diagrams, styles, and synchronising them all took up way more of my energy and power not counting a new issue cropping up daily. 

Perhaps it is just my own shortcomings that led to all this turmoil or perhaps I have this sense of TWoT that makes me want to present a pattern that is the easiest possible I can think of.

Whatever the case, I am grateful for all my friendly tatters, their sincere efforts and enthusiasm. And a huge hug to Ninetta!
    1. So has tatting ever made you cry? Why?
    2. Which way do you think the lace should face - like the model or the diagram? Your response will help us decide.
    3. What shapes and designs can you see in this lace that may lead to future patterns?
Eager and curious about your answers ....
All relevant links can be found in the Endrucks 1920 Project document here

16 comments:

  1. Mmm. I’ve given up on tatting techniques now and then. The interlocking hearts were certainly a huge challenge, though I did conquer them eventually. More power to your arm, as my sister-in-law used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a saying in Hindi - apna haath jagannath - which has a similar meaning... rely on your own hands 😁 And boy, has it worked!!!

      Delete
  2. Your piece looks great to me! :)
    As for the questions, I am lost so I will wait and see what you tat!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I was too cryptic, Sue 😉 I didn't intend any disrespect to anybody here, only to show how strongly I was overwhelmed to tears - not by the pattern per se, but by how to bring everything together logically. I'm happily tatting now 😁

      Delete
    2. I don't think you disrespected anyone. ;)
      I can see how overwhelming that design would be to tat. I look at the original and am totally lost!! ;)
      You have done great!! :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Sue 💝 There were language, style, temporal, spatial, visual barriers that needed to be synced! But in a few moments you will see why I am very happy in my new post 😉

      Delete
  3. There are two techniques that almost made me cry, block tatting and mignonette. Only basic chains and rings, for both I had read that are for beginners but, oh dear, I don't think they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See how smart I am, Nin - I avoid mignonette totally 😉🤣 I understand the technique but I don't need to make it - KISS principle 😃😇😁

      Delete
  4. Also, I can see a line of dancers or women carrying baskets (fruits?) on their head! For me the design is like the model and I figure it like an insertion or sewed on the fabric, not an edging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree with you, Ninetta 💕 Your outlining of the dancer was perfect! A lot of other possibilities using parts of the pattern, too.

      Delete
  5. tatting can be vert frustrating. MAny tears over bad thread tangling.
    I think tatting should face like the model because that is what we use to check our work. And i see a line of ladies from Africa wearing head wraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knotty knotty thread!!!😃 Sam, you put the finger on exactly what was hazy in my head - the neck rings wearing African ladies - that is what the block looks like, along with their elaborate headwrap! Thanks for setting my mind at rest. Wonder whether Frau Endrucks was inspired by them in this design? 💕

      Delete
  6. I like it both ways. I guess it depends on where you plan to use it and how you see it in your mind. Books can be rotated so a tatted piece faces any direction you like, so how it is oriented in a book isn't all that important to me. If you like it a certain way, that's the 'right' way to do it. If you prefer the way it looks facing a different direction, then THAT becomes the 'right' way - for whatever you have in mind at the time.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very practical approach, Steph!!! 💕 So, at present, it is what is the easiest way to convey the pattern that determines my decision. And it happens to be the way the model faces.😁

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry for you! I can feel your pain! I have known it! I tatted a lopsided, irregular-shaped vintage lappet exactly as seen. Argh! Following an early 1900's vintage tatter's mis-calculations threw me topsy-turvy. Many attempts. Finally, I gritted my teeth and forward I pushed myself. Believe me, tears were oh! so close! Wish I was there to wipe away your tears.
    I see a tribal celebration dance in Endruck's pattern.
    Yes, your arms and hands tell the true movements.
    Like you, learned if I can draw it... likely I can tat it. And, vise versa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had frustrating moments but this is probably the very few times where I felt utterly discombobulated. And you are just a click away, buddy, always within reach 💗I'm very happy now!💕

      Delete