Monday 24 May 2021

instant soaked almonds

Pin It now! No, I'm not talking about that whole dunk in boiling water then in ice water crap - takes the whole taste & texture out of almonds! I have my own method that locks in the taste, yet can be eaten at a moments notice or slivered for garnish! Freshness guaranteed.

Eating nuts like almonds during winters generates warmth within the body. In summers, though, we prefer to eat soaked almonds which have a cooling effect. They take about 5-6 hours to soak completely, but I often forget to put them in water daily. So, here's my hack -

Rinse a batch of almonds and soak them for 5-7 hours which allows for even absorption of moisture. This batch should last me for about 5 to 6 days. Hubby snagged a few before I could click a photo!
TIP: Rinsing is important to remove any brownish residue, otherwise as the days progress, brown spots tend to appear.
Dry the soaked almonds on a kitchen towel - simply pat dry. 

Then store in air-tight container, in the fridge.

Next day, simply pick out a few of those presoaked & dried almonds, dunk in water for a few minutes (anywhere between 1-3 minutes depending on ambient temperature)....
... and skin them. Easy-peasy. And the taste and texture is Exactly like Day 1.

This batch is on Day 6. Any difference?

Usually they get over by Day 6. But this time I wanted to see how much longer. Finally this is on Day 12. Notice the few brownish spots? This is the only visible sign; the taste remains unaltered!!!

Try it and tell me if it works for you. Munch on them or use as garnish - all at a moments' notice. 

12 comments:

  1. Looks very handy. I can’t try it though, almonds are not readily available here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, didn't realise that. Instead I was expecting someone to say they can buy these from a store 😁 No problem, I have plenty of fridge tips for future 😍

      Delete
  2. Almonds are a favorite of mine. But....
    They take a huge amount of water. That is very scarce here, so are not encouraged as a new crop. Your soaking method is very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, but I wasn't growing almonds, merely soaking in a bowl 🤣😂😁 I've seen almond trees and this is the season when we even get fresh green almonds (fruit) in the market where you break the shell and the almond 'seed' comes out. 💖

      Delete
  3. I love Almonds, and will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love almonds and hazelnuts and walnut, especially toasted into the oven! But I've been lucky enough to taste all these, freshly picked from the tree and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for you, Ninetta 😍💕 If you click on 'kitchen tips' I've shared how I dry roast dry fruits/nuts. How do you do it?

      Delete
    2. Simply I put them cleaned, on the baking try, no hidden secrets here lol, I am not a cook! Nobody complains though 😅

      Delete
    3. You are doing great, Nin 😁💝✌

      Delete
  5. świetny sposób, też zapominam o wcześniejszym namoczeniu:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I surely hope this method works for you, Renata 😃💖😍

      Delete