Monday 27 April 2020

dancing in the snow

Pin It now!
In January I was contacted by Craftree’s jmjtat. Her guild, ‘Fiber Frenzy’ from the USA had decided to work on my snowflakes as a tat-along through to August, to be displayed in September. They ‘really liked the variety in style and techniques in my collection’! Many were interested in the Peacock in the Snow flake of which I had uploaded only prototype pics. She requested me to release the pattern.

As I had written earlier, I felt the theme was not complete, since white snow was missing in the flake! I finally got around to designing and tatting the final round of snow.
I kept tweaking the treble stitch arches through the round, but now feel confident of what I want for the final.
In Anchor Pearl cotton size 8, it measures 9.5 cms tipwise, and 5cms as hexagon side.
Each round is layered tightly hence ruffles slightly, but settles flat with quick blocking with rolling pin. Can’t say if I have the stamina to test a few versions to get it sorted. We’ll see.

Just wanted to share the first complete look, though. What do you think?

See the white sewing thread across the purple rings in pic below? My prototype had picots and I wanted to see how it would look without them. Hence sewed them to the back – laziness personified ;-P
But look at how beautiful the arches really look from the wrong side!!! From the front, they are partially hidden by the Josephine rings. However, JRs are part of the peacock motif, so I’ll simply reduce the half stitches in each.

And I really have some ideas to re-tat a variation without the JRs so that the arches are in full view! 
And to make flowers with these arches – getting ahead of myself ;-P

Waiting for your comments - answers and suggestions !

15 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. I especially like the version with white on the outer edge.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it, Stephanie 💕💕💕

      Delete
  2. Awesome as always!!!! ;)
    I love the colors too!!
    Oh, I kind of wonder how many will complete it with the treble tatting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tatters are crafty and will find ways to replace treble tatting if they want, Sue 😉 Or just stop at any round instead of all 4 💕💕💕
      Sue, why haven't you shared your tds video on your blog - it is so well-made?

      Delete
    2. Ummmm...I haven't thought about it?? Guess that is something I will have to get busy and do, as well as discipline myself into getting the pattern for the doily together for others to try!! ;)

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to it, Sue :-)))

      Delete
  3. They are gorgeous and the added white is a great touch. I did get to learn how to do the trebble stitch when I went to tat days last summer and haven't used them since. But this would make me try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow Had to be a component 😉 I will be thrilled if you take this snowflake as an inspiration to practice the tds, Carollyn 💕💕💕 Will write pattern soon.

      Delete
  4. I love the way each round fits snugly against the previous round. The touch of white is perfect! I do like the look of the arches from the back. I guess that means it can be enjoyed from either side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost, from afar, Diane - if seen from close quarters, purists with shudder ;-P But I've finished another motif that displays the arches properly.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! The outer white row certainly brings in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white also brings out the other colours, really makes them pop.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jane :-))) Your keen observation makes me believe I should stay with these colours, despite the boredom of tatting yet again in same;-D

      Delete
  6. I like both options! But then, I rarely stick to one idea as I design. That gives me more to do. Your designs are full of such options. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if designing one round at a time creates such options, Mel?!

      Delete