Monday 17 July 2017

off to The Pentagon !

Pin It now!

I totally forgot to post the pentagon trials in my previous post! These were accomplished before I started on the triangles.
I realize you may be getting bored seeing the same stuff in the same colours. 
No, I do Not like pink! Which is why I chose it for trials – trying to finish off the ball ;-P
However, I think it goes fairly well with the ecru.

I’ve made 5 of these with slight tweaks in stitch count. Arranged in a semi-circle they make a lovely collar. Or continue around to complete the circle fore a lacy edging.
The best part – it can be tatted in one pass !!!! Easy to trace the path, if you enjoy a bit of a puzzle :-)

I'll have to consult my sketchy notes to determine the details here & that is all boring stuff. (In fact I stopped writing notes early into the project, shhhh!)
The size 20 one is ready, so that's what matters.

I've found that size of picots makes a difference in these shapes lying flat. 
The placement of joining picots in inner rings also makes a difference.
And where the ring is split causes the shape to widen/spread out or remain closely packed. 
Fun to experiment with these factors, especially since all rings are 24ds each. And working it in 2 colours adds to the fun factor.


With Wimbledon over, I’ll be able to get back into this pattern-writing and diagramming stuff more seriously & diligently now.
I’m thinking of sharing all 4 shapes in one pdf.
Next I’ll do the bookmark in a separate pdf.
After that I hope to tat these one-pass magic shapes and share as I go. And I promise to use different colours, but in size 40 - it's the size I enjoy working with.

I’ve added ‘quatrefoil’ to the Labels’ list on the right panel. Click or use the search engine to scroll through my previous posts.

 happy tatting always - whatever the shape/size of the building :-)))

19 comments:

  1. Wow!!! You are very creative!!! :) Can't wait to see what else you come up with!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've shared almost all the arrangements so far, Sue ;-D

      Delete
  2. Nice collar that this pattern worked out to become great idea and shape and so many different possible items to be made 🐝💮🐝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my interest sustains through all the different possibilities, Carollyn ;-D Unless someone wants to go ahead ...

      Delete
  3. I like the collar too!. Interesting that the placement and size of the picots makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jane :-))) I'm thinking of starting with this first, alongside the magic square.

      Delete
  4. I was wondering how you would make quatrefoils into triangles, pentagons, and hexagons. The angle for the triangle and center angle in the hexagon is 60 degrees while the pentagon is 72 degrees but you've figured it out! I'm looking forward to learning from you. Thank you for being so willing to share your discoveries which take much time and work. You are very generous.
    Mama Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've listed the 3 factors that needed to be addressed, Mama Martin, through this quest - picot length, SR sides, inner ring joining point. And my handicap was trying to keep the stitchcount synchronised between the rings and between the shapes. The real verdict will come only after tatters like you have tried it :-)

      I enjoy the experimentation part; now if only I could transfer my thoughts into actual blog posts/pdfs (which take way more time than the tatting), wouldn't that be something ;-P

      Delete
  5. Lovely collar/edging indeed, I love puzzles but I think I can wait your pdf :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are now Hiding behind laziness, Ninetta ;-P
      But you know, these shapes have been reminding me of your tattingrams - will play with these some time ...

      Delete
    2. :-) yes, I confess... There's a tangram in the shape of an egg, that could fit better, great idea

      Delete
  6. My goodness! You always have such informative posts! I'm beginning to think the geometry should be taught using your tatted examples. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now wouldn't that be a Full Fun-filled class, Diane ! I hope ;-D

      Delete
  7. I like the collar, and the thought of making a lacy doily.
    I do like pink
    Very interesting post look forward to the PDFs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :-) Work on the pdf is progressing slowly, unfortunately. I'm too busy enjoying my tatting ;-)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Anetta :-) But now I'll be struggling with what colours to use ;-P

      Delete