Sharing a few pieces I tatted from Jane Eborall's free patterns
(click on respective titles for free pattern )
Designer : Jane Eborall
Jane has been sharing these coasters in quick succession, through the last few weeks. Each one had a singular identity with the choice of colourway, tempting me enormously ;-) Since I had recently landed myself with 5 balls of size 10 thread (the size was not mentioned on ebay, only the Gorgeous pic of 5 colourways), this coaster/mini-doily seemed a very good starting project, just the right size when completed.
This coaster now livens up my dining table, as you can see - almost custom-made for the vase !!!
Threads Used :
South Maid Mercer
. Art. D-54, Color 430, Cream. Size 10. Cotton, USA
My Notes :
· Since I loaded Shuttle 1 with variegated thread, the pattern needs to be started using Shuttle 2.
· The thread sizes were a bit off in comparison with each other, with the plain colour slightly finer. Also, the South Maid thread seemed thinner at places, if that wasn’t my imagination. The Bliss thread was wonderful to work with. Unraveling needed care, though, due to slightly less taut twist.
· Variegated thread (Sh1) needed 4 full-bobbin refills while plain thread (Sh2) required only 2 full refills.
· Learned how to start 2-colour tatting with an SCMR with Jane’s tut here.
· The pattern is a tad confusing at initial stages, despite clear diagrams – I needed all my spatial perspective at command; I sometimes feel disoriented with all what goes where in case of split rings & SCMRs ! But now I am quite familiar with SCMRs – good practice !
During last year’s TIAS (the sailing boat), I learned how to make Split Rings here. For greater practice & understanding, I simultaneously chose to tat the Fandango Coaster pattern & the
Recently, Jane posted a pic of her Shuttle Shaped Motif, here. When looking at it, I was stumped by what looked like a picot emerging from picots !!! Well, I Had to try out the pattern (she has reinstated the pattern here. And here are the 2 motifs – one complete, the other with only the 1st round completed. I intend to use them as is …. Will share soon.
Many thanks to Jane for sharing so selflessly !
Motifs #7 & 8 / II for 25 Motif Challenge