Friday 31 May 2024

inflating the leaf

Pin It now!

 As part of the ongoing #InflateMeEndrucks game in May, I couldn't resist inflating this leaf! The E15 leaf doodle post was among the top 5 for several days, enticing me constantly. The motif is such a quick tat, that I succumbed.  All links at the end of post ....

This time I made it into a pendant. Although I wouldn't mind tatting a pair as earrings.
The original motif on the left. However since there were absolutely no picots along the edge, I ended up tatting 2 motifs, adding tiny picots on the outer chains.
TIP: If the Chain H is reduced from 6 to 4 stitches (left motif), the leaf comes out flatter.
TIP: Notice that the two motifs are tatted as mirror images. I followed the same diagram, but started with a backside ring.

I had also sewn in the bugle bead vein in both. 
This time I followed Pitsibaa's instructions to the T. And as I had stated, it is certainly easier to sew individual motifs than to join as one tats. More freedom, hassle-free tatting, ....
And I also remembered to blot out any extra glue solution, LOL.
After it had dried, I added the beaded chain for the pendant.
I didn't stuff the center, since I wanted the beaded veins to show through.

Future Idea - Increase the length of the joining picots between the motifs instead of keeping them tiny. So that when it is stiffened for inflation a filigree effect is visible along the seams! 


Relevant Links -
All about the Inflate Me Endrucks game -https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2024/05/is-it-plane.html  (including my first model and pictorial)

🍃🍃🍃🙐🙑🙐🙑🙐🙑🙐🙑🍃🍃🍃

And on a side note, here's another way to inflate leaves, LOL. 
This savory snack or side dish is called 'patra' or 'patode'. Arbi/colocasia leaves are layered, rolled, steamed, and sliced. They can be eaten as is (ones on the right), tempered, 'roasted' in little oil for crispiness (like the ones on the left), or deep fried. In Delhi, we don't normally get arbi leaves in the market, so I used to grow my own in pots every monsoon, using the vegetable bulb itself. Then the bought veggies were probably treated and they stopped germinating. Seeds didn't work either. 

Yesterday, my lovely hubby surprised me by finding the leaves in an online store (they have a couple of outlets as well) based in Delhi and bought them without my knowledge! He paid more than the cost of the 6 leaves as delivery charges but it was so worth it. Very good quality, large leaves. The rolled log was at least 12 inches long. After 15 to 20 years, I finally got to make and eat these. Thankfully I hadn't forgotten how, LOL. Plenty of slices still in the fridge. 

TIP: I used the soft silicon spatula to apply the paste between layers. It was so easy, quick, and mess-free!

15 comments:

  1. The tatted leaf is such a pleasing shape. It would make very good earrings. Hats off to your husband for finding the arbi leaves and surprising you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 🍃 Hubby can be such a sweetie 😁

      Delete
  2. Nagyon szép ez a levél...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leaf doodle is fantastic!
    I've never seen those arbi leaves or even the patras. It looks tasty and your husband is very attentive and caring to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nin, and yes hubby does take very good care of me 💕

      Delete
  4. Your inflated leaf is the color of 'middle spring' leaves in my area - darker than the 'spring' green of your original leaf, but not the deep, dark green of summer yet. It's the type of color that gives people a 'happy' feeling just to look at it (especially as a tatted leaf or real leaves) and see 'spring' and new life in their minds. :) I have never seen (or heard of) those arbi leaves or the snack you make with them. They look good. I'm glad you remembered how to make them, after so many years of NOT having them available where you live.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, both flat and 3D versions are made from the very same thread - size and shade! I believe it is the use of glue (despite being clear) that has darkened the shade of the pendant. Love your perspective, Steph 🌳🍃
      One could make the layered cutlets with spinach or cabbage leaves. However these have more water content than the colocasia leaves, besides the difference in taste.
      You might enjoy watching this video I found even if you don't make it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOCDysN7gcY 💕

      Delete
    2. Stephanie, I have just uploaded a pic showing the two motifs before they were sewn together. Had forgotten about this pic which was still in my inbox.

      Delete
  5. I love your leaves, i hope to have mine finished later today, its been a trial and error, this has been a hard month but I have got there, I hope your temperature's have gone down and its a bit more bearable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a trooper, Margaret! 🍃💕 We appreciate all that you share and you mostly manage to make something different!
      We are still riding the often record-breaking heat wave. Earlier it was a long severe winter, LOL.

      Delete
  6. Awesome inflated leaf!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 3D leaf is very pretty! I like your idea for embellishments. Those leaf snacks look interesting. It's so sweet of your husband to get them for you! :)

    ReplyDelete