Friday 12 April 2024

no excuse to

Pin It now!

 no excuse to not decorate!!! Check out the diversity of decorative or ornamental picots in tatting! 

This collage is a small glimpse into way more picot types than we would ever use, or use sparingly. Yet it is a pity they get glossed over. Now we have no excuse to skip them, when visual models are laid out in this pdf titled DECORATIVE  PICOTS  IN  TATTING https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6l4gQWeGu1Se1ZXAhP2vWLQMd4lfzMJ/view
It can act as a quick reference to make our choices.

Backstory - It started with Net Best's upcoming book ' Six T's of Shuttle Tatting' that I am editing. She had listed the names of several picots/elements in her glossary without any pics. It was understandable because the book was meant for beginner/intermediate level tatters. And since it was going to be a physical book, there were limits on the number of pages. 

Now we have decided that only a few copies will be hard copies for private circulation. Sales will be in the form of a digital book. (It was an option she had veered towards before her death.) Phew, that takes away the page pressure. We also decided to shift the elements to a separate chapter to showcase their variety. To that end, I have been tatting up these samplers.

Meanwhile we started the #PicotMeEndrucks game this month in our FB group. [You can read the details with links here - https://lelia-stitchesoflife.blogspot.com/2024/04/picot-me-endrucks-april-2024.html  Carol, thanks so much for the shoutout!]. We felt that perhaps a visual reference would spur more interest and effort, although we already have some spectacular entries. Hence I focused all my energies on tatting all the picots I had on my list in order to share with our members in time. Obviously I haven't had time to tat my own butterfly version yet, LOL. 

In the pdf there are no details about each picot. They are arranged alphabetically despite the fact that there are underlying similarities and several can be grouped together. Well, I need to keep something for the book, right?!

If you know of any picot that can be added, please do let me know. Or any input is welcome.
Meanwhile, I hope you join in if you can and choose your picot to style your butterfly! Send me your version if you are not on FB. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Muskaan! This is a fantastic resource! I think I should work an Endruck Life is Bliss Butterfly into my collection of critter bookmarks for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome, Eliz! Will keep an eye out for your version ❤️

      Delete
  2. The picot is becoming an art in itself. Your sampler is great! I don't know all the names, but I really like the interwoven picots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely stated, Lavinia ❤️ The mind boggles because there are more effects possible within this listing.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for picots! A lot of modern tatting minimises picots as decoration, and yet there are so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jane, and I am one of those 😁 But looking at the range that spans frilly, airy to dense picots is indeed amazing😍

      Delete