Saturday 27 April 2024

taking wing

Pin It now!

Just as I had visualized and hoped for! The wings with gathered picots! Yes, I'm doing the happy dance for sure, soaring on wings of fancy :-D

The Pattern -- 'Life is Bliss' butterfly by Antonia Lai, derived from Endrucks' pattern #32 (or E32). Here is the pattern - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_2y-JQn-noKF2AvegujNQIP4IYXRqWZ/view . For all links to Endrucks' docs and patterns - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w1TZBg-HIzseGEUoJ-rko7tNbtSgZY5A18Oy2Y9Hh0Y/view


The Game -- This is my entry for the #PicotMeEndrucks April 2024 game in the Endrucks 1920 Project FB group. I had this in mind ever since I was preparing the presentation, etc., yet could not get around to tatting it for various reasons. One morning probably a week back, I actually woke up reaching out for the butterfly I had finished tatting (in my dream literally, but it was oh so vivid!!!). Yesterday I finally took hold of myself and belted it out for real.

The Thread Colour -- Deliberately chose a bold but lighter shade. Variegated or dark hues would probably mask the picots or appear too busy. Worked in Anchor size 20 (equi to Lizbeth 10) mercerised cotton. The lower ones are my butterflies for the #PickMeEndrucks game last Feb (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/02/indisciplined.html) These two models were a great help in deciding placement and size of picots.

The Decorative Picots -- gathered picots; double picots and some variations; twisted picots (floating) with Josephine ring/picot at the tip; twisted double picot; chain picot; graduated picots. Phew! 

I had roughly sketched my idea of where I wanted which picot. Once shuttles were picked up, some of these were changed.

I have labelled the various picots in this pic. Easier to show than explain. All picots used a 1/2 inch picot gauge, though the long picot was made with the gauge held horizontally. The graduated picots were eye-balled.

You can find a whole visual list of decorative picots here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6l4gQWeGu1Se1ZXAhP2vWLQMd4lfzMJ/view

It wasn't all smooth sailing especially since it was to be both a first trial and the final. I often had to retro-tat, including opening up closed rings. But so worth it!

The Sequence -- I started with the inner onion ring, going clockwise. The entire body and right wing were tatted continuously. However, for bilateral symmetry of the gathered picots on the left wing, I had to join the threads at the base of the onion ring and tat the wing from the back. This also meant joining the picots from the back. It took me three trials to get it right. 

The Tweaks -- The only addition I made was to add a shadow chain with graduated picots along the outer sides of the top rings. I think this provided the motif with balance and body. I didn't use a CWJ for the onion ring, opting for a lock join so that the chain picot could be made properly. For the double picots I divided the 6ds of ring to 4 picot 2. One inadvertent mistake was 2 stitches instead of 3 between the joining picots of side rings. 

The Finish -- I needed to dampen, shape, and let the motif rest to tidy up all elements. However it could've done with some better blocking but I was too excited to see 'finished' and photographed ;-P. 

🦋🦋🦋Now that the metamorphosis is done, let me enjoy my flight to the skies 🦋🦋🦋

Related Posts
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2024/03/happy-itd-2024.html
https://lelia-stitchesoflife.blogspot.com/2024/04/picot-me-endrucks-april-2024.html
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2024/04/no-excuse-to.html

17 comments:

  1. Wow, it’s absolutely gorgeous muskaan, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the most beautiful tatted butterfly I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most realistically shaped, prettiest tatted butterfly I have ever seen. You have done a beautiful (and very creative) job.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely brilliant and beautifully tatted! A tiny masterpiece 🥰!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so very much Diane, Sue, Stephanie, and Ninetta 🦋😍🦋😍🦋 This is one project I am thrilled about, too, even though the finishing needs some finesse 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought there was so many ways to use a picot, you have opened up my eyes today, that butterfly is brilliant, I am sorry I have not joined in, I did intend to make some but this month has been a hard one, brilliant trip to scotland that i ended up with a fibro flare up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, since making that compilation I have found even more picots! Our tatting community has been thriving with new effects and techniques but we are not all privy to each one of them. Hope you feel well soon and join us whenever you can. Our next game will begin on 3rd May but you know you can send in late entries as well. 😍

      Delete
  7. That is amazing! The most impressive embellishment with picots I've ever seen. You must be really proud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite am, Lavinia, especially coz the threads bore out my visualization 😍

      Delete
  8. Motyl jest przepiękny, fantastyczny, misterny, lekki i delikatny...
    Wygląda jak żywy, jakby przysiadł na chwilkę i zaraz odleci...
    Wspaniały efekt osiągnęłaś wydłużonymi pikotkami.
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You describe it so well, so poetically, splocik! Thank you very much 😍

      Delete
  9. So beautiful!!! I added beads, beaded dot picots. Enjoyed the April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous butterfly!! 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marja! You can add another to your lovely collection :-)

      Delete