Thursday 23 November 2023

flaky antics

Pin It now!

 This time I have a snowflake pattern to share. It is a mix of the old with the new; partly derived and partly original; and I thoroughly enjoyed putting it together, though it got entangled in some flakiness midways. 

I call it the Antiks Snowflake which is a play on words and techniques; a combo of antique, ANKARS, and the antics involved in getting it just right! At the center is a 6-point adaptation of Endrucks' pattern #42 but the outermost round is all mine.

My first trial and prototype combined. Blogged about it here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/03/antics.html. I was so out of practice with split chains! By this point in the final round, I had decided on which tweaks to keep and was happy that it would lay flat. Ran out of thread but it had done its job.  

After a couple of weeks I returned to tat a proper model along with the pattern presentation. Notice anything? Sigh, yes, there are 8 repeats as in the original Endrucks' pattern #42! I had kept wondering why the arms were so squished in and after wasting my precious Lizbeth white, I stopped. Foggy head leads to a flaky flake.

And since I had sent the same pattern to Anita Barry for test tatting, she too, worked an 8-point flake! She used this to decorate a purse and it looks gorgeous against a deep blue background. She displayed it at  the IOLI Convention this year.

I chose a different Lizbeth size 20 and went to work again, this time making sure the pattern was for 6 repeats. 

Tatted one more, this time in Olympus size 40 to consolidate the pattern and presentation.

And I didn't expect her to, but Anita actually tatted a second model with 6 arms in Lizbeth metallic! Now that's commitment.
Her help was also valuable in arranging the written pattern more systematically and clearly. 

I sent an article with this pattern to the IOLI Bulletin for their Summer issue. However, since they ran out of space, it was published in the fall issue above - IOLI Bulletin, Fall 2023 edition (Oct 2023, Vol 44, N.1).
It is a very nicely laid out presentation and Liz, the editor is always very diligent and helpful.

Their back cover carries a pic of the flake, too!

Interestingly, both Lizbeth 20 and Olympus 40 work out to the same size!

Now, now, don't go too far. Thought I'm flaky enough to forget sharing the pattern link?! Ah, see, the saga continues and I will share the link in my next post. 
... to be continued...

Many many thanks to Anita and Liz!  Excellent collaboration. 

6 comments:

  1. It's the time for snowflakes indeed. I like this one, it's very pretty! I'm not surprised Frau Endrucks also had a small part in this design. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, Lavi.... in the limited time I get to tat the E Project gets priority despite numerous beautiful temptations thronging our TatLand 🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  2. It's a fantastic snowflake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it turned out well, too, Sue 💙

      Delete
  3. It’s lovely muskaan, and I do enjoy hearing the back story! I look forward to seeing the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I enjoy sharing the back story and design process, Jane, whenever I can 💙

      Delete