Friday 18 August 2023

differences

Pin It now!

A few months back I worked on some lattice tatting samplers. 

This one is in Lizbeth size 10 threads. Each zigzag chain is made in a different shade. 

This one is in Anchor mercerized size 20 (which is almost similar in thickness to Lizbeth size 10) threads. Only two colours, worked continuously. 
But notice the difference in the stitches?!! 
The difference in how flat and even the chain segments are in the former? 
And not to mention the sheer joy it was to tat with the former, and that Lizbeth photographs so much better.

Hmm, there are tatters who can work with any thread and their results are always perfect and spectacular. Guess I'm not one of them! Threads seem to alter the visual appearance of my models, LOL.

LATTICE TATTING is simply stacked rows of zigzag chains, each trough joined to the peak of the  previous row. You can work it in separate rows, giving you the option to use several colours. Or work it continuously in one or two colours. 
Each zigzag chain is made with a segment of double stitches alternating with a segment of reverse stitches. This automatically creates the visual zigzag effect. Depending on the length of each segment, numerous effects are possible! 

https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2020/04/picoted-s-chain-cords.html - picoted zigzag chain (1ds,p,1rs) with pictorial and explanation
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/07/tailed.html - single stitch zigzag chain (1ds,1rs)

The above sampler is worked with 2 shuttles loaded with 2 contrasting colours. To climb up to the height in order to start the next row, I used a Lock Chain.Lock chains can be considered a very basic zigzag chain where each flipped half-stitch is alternated with an unflipped half-stitch.

Somewhere in the 3rd and 4th rows I made a mistake while climbing out. I got confused and kind of winged my way through. Hence the chains are worse than the thread be blamed for ;-P Hopefully I will find the time to try it again in a better frame of mind.

Each row in this multi-coloured sampler is tatted individually using one shuttle and ball. The threads were a gift from a loving friend, Denise W (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2018/06/im-on-take.html). Took me years, but I've used the samples to fairly good effect, with some lengths still remaining.

I left the threads uncut and unhidden 'coz I have yet to decide how to use this sampler (a bookmark is my guess, which means continuing for some more length). 

12 comments:

  1. Lovely result! It will be perfect for a bookmark. With beads it would be a beautiful bracelet! Or, with tiny thread it would look like a precious web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both the lattice effects, but the first one does look neater. I also have issues with bad quality thread: the cheapest Romanian brand is brittle and uneven. But I'm surprised you had trouble with Anchor. I find their threads pretty good. Do you know what it is that is causing you issues with some threads? Maybe you can find a solution...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lavi, I should've clarified that Anchor is not a bad quality thread. In fact it is the best mercerised crochet cotton available here. Of course it's quality has changed in the last decade or more (earlier they were made with Egyptian cotton and had a silken appearance and were the same size as Lizbeth 20). Now it is thicker and there is more stretch. In comparison, Lizbeth was a dream to tat with and the piece is not even blocked. 💕So the issue lies with me, too 😁

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see. Then Lizbeth must be very good (I've bever tried it). Don't blame yourself though. Your tatting always comes out beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Wow, love the lattice effect. I’ll have to try it. I’ve only done the lattice in the Julia Sanders book, which is worked quite differently. Oh yes, thread quality makes a difference, that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting to see your piece, Jane and hope you share the link for your Julia Sanders' piece as well. Curious to see the difference. 💕 Anne Dyer's Big Flower (link shared above) also uses a different method to switch direction, but if one is looking for sharp definition, this is the way to go.

      Delete
  4. Interesting I think the multi coloured one would make a lovely bookmark, of course the thread make all the difference, I find some threads dont work for me either. I would not mind trying the multi coloured one as a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks, Margaret. I will continue it into a bookmark. It will be something I can use and invoke memories instead of remaining a sampler. 💕

      Delete
  5. The lattice is so interesting! thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great to revisit some techniques and effects that have fallen by the wayside 😁 Thanks, Carol 💕

      Delete