Wednesday 12 July 2023

SOUPy vine

Pin It now!
Our game of the month for July was to tat a bookmark from any of Endrucks' patterns. Her book has a lot of edgings making it easy to choose one and adapt into a bookmark. I've done it with a few of her patterns already. However this time I went with a SOUP* (*Sewing On / Using Pieces) bookmark.
Bookmark directory (soon more models will be added): 

I was actually rummaging for another project through my Endrucks' models stash which is now so huge that it is stored in several different truffle boxes! My eyes landed on these hearts (these include trials and prototypes) and it felt like a good opportunity to use them. It would keep them 'in line' and also be of use.

Not wanting to make it 'permanent', I tatted something that can be cut off if required.
This is my SOUPy Vine Bookmark from E37 for the game ....

Tatted with only one shuttle using teal shade, it is made solely of rings. A bit free style. 
The two large 'leaves' are lock joined to both heart motifs and joined somewhere along the edge, too, for stability. However since the heart edges did not have picots, I had to pierce a fine crochet hook into the space and make a join while tatting the ring.

In her book, Frau Endrucks advises: 
Should you have forgotten a picot, poke a needle between the respective double knots. The picot created that way is large enough for joining. 

Wanting to avoid cutting and hiding ends after each pair of rings, I went with a half-closed ring string! 
TIP: Half-closed rings (aka half rings, scallops) act like split rings with thread(s) emerging at a point away from the start. 
Each HCR is 3ds.
The leaf rings range from 20 to 30 ds.

The heart motifs were worked in Anchor size 20 which is like Lizbeth 10. Adding this connecting 'vine' in the same size would make it too bulky for a bookmark. Hence the vine is worked in Anchor size 40.

The tassel is made of short leftover lengths in brighter colours. And another HCR string or vine is inserted to sort of bring it all together.

The entire work took me less than 2 sittings and was a fun task. I now have one more bookmark to use!
In different colours the leaf rings could've been butterflies 🦋 .

PATTERN: Eye Spy Hearts #1 derived from Endrucks' #37 (E37). All hearts derived from Endrucks' book are collected in the Hearts Directoryhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1MpYw9XMB8Asz8zusj1ZpHvX8A8Ww424-rEVORtxcL1w/view

Related Posts -

12 comments:

  1. A good way to turn tatting bits into something useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked out a few more motifs, Jane .... let's see how they turn out 😃🩵

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous bookmark! It's a great way to turn little pieces of tatting into something pretty and useful, too. I love the viney half-closed ring strings and the bright tassel with those pretty pink hearts.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to revisit 'old' styles sometimes, Steph - kind of refreshing, too 🩷

      Delete
  3. Beautiful bookmark and amazing pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to tat free-style, Anetta, and this provided me that opportunity 💚

      Delete
  4. I recognise the pattern, makes a liovely bookmark,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the energy and time I would've tried something like your Pretty Me Bookmark adaptation, Margaret. 🧡

      Delete
  5. The bookmark looks a bit like a row of radishes to me. Radishes? Soup? Sorry, I'm making dinner as I'm reading this heh. But it's a pretty bookmark and the tassel sets it off very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😁😁😁 Now that you say it, yes they could easily go for radishes, Lavinia! Love it when somebody sees something 'new' 💗

      Delete