Monday 21 December 2020

embroidered motifs

Pin It now!

This is from another lifetime...so long back that I cannot remember exactly when. All I know for certain is I started embroidering these hankies in 1996. Yup, a lifetime back!

These are not my original patterns, though I might've adapted them a bit here and there. I've given them names just for fun ;-P

Orange Pansy

Hand-embroidered in single strand of vintage silk thread.
Stem stitch, blanket stitch for filling the leaves and flower, long and short stitches for center of flower, and buttonhole around eyelet.
For hanky edges I used regular sewing thread and machine-hemmed with decorative zigzags. 
This is an older image to show the sheen of silk threads.

The wear and tear is clearly visible. While the sheen does not wear off, the vintage silk thread can fray.

Blossoms' Corner
This is the only pic I have. One of my favourite hankies, I think got misplaced a few years back. I Love how even the tiny stitches are. 
Hand-embroidered in single strand of Anchor embroidery thread.
Stem stitch, satin stitch for red center, chain stitch for petal outlines, and either satin or fishbone stitch for the leaves.
This hanky had a violet hem.

Flowery Perch
This was my least favourite of the lot. Again, it's the only pic I have of it since the hanky is no longer with me.
Hand-embroidered in 1 and 2 strands of Anchor embroidery threads.
I chose to do shadow work (closed herringbone stitch) because of the parallel lines throughout the motif. Which is why it was done in 2 threads hoping for some little colour to show through. Too much work, but not the result I was hoping for.
It also has satin stitch for the bird and back stitch for center of flowers and beak.
The hanky edging was in green.

Hope you enjoyed this little foray into something other than tatting ;-P Embroidery was my first love, especially single-stranded. 

Related Posts

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful hankies! Your embroidery is gorgeous. I'm afraid if I had hankies as pretty as those, I would never use them - put them away for 'nice' and use my old, worn ones instead. ;) Your needlework is wonderful.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stephanie 🧡💛🧡 I know the feeling ;-P

      Delete
  2. They’re lovely and I think it’s good they were used, though I’d probably do the same as Stephanie! You need to make some more, with tatted edgings added, how special they would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When embroidering at the time, one did not realise the value of good eyesight. Sometimes I still yearn to do such fine embroidery ... let's see. Thanks, Jane 💖

      Delete
  3. Muskaan, your embroidery is lovely! So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete