Sunday 13 December 2020

hiding fabric burn spots

Pin It now!
Several years back we gave a brand new bedsheet set to the laundry for a simple wash, instead of doing it at home. And it came back with a few burn spots! 

 My solution was to embroider around the spot burns in white buttonhole stitch (single strand) to prevent any possible fraying. I'm sure you can spot them in the image above, now that you know.

Then I tried to replicate a sense - a simple impression - of the printed part of the bedsheet, using freestyle brush strokes in a subdued colour.

Painted white circles to copy the 'burnt berries' on the twigs.
And done! Oh, I did a similar one on the plain panel on the other side of the printed one. I didn't take a pic of it, since it was a bit out of reach and I was lazy ;-P

Quick fix solution! This sheet has been on my bed for a couple of weeks now, before I thought to take pics and share. Hence the creases, if you will excuse them. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, how did they manage to burn the sheet like that? I would understand some discoloration from ironing, but this is strange. Very artistic fixes! You could even say they are part of the original design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like the work of a few stray drops of strong acid, Lavi ! And the proprietor wouldn't even acknowledge their mistake. But I couldn't dump the new sheet for these few holes 😉

      Delete
  2. A beautiful fix, but not exactly a quick one. The laundry should have replaced it perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby actually told him that we didn't want a replacement or anything, but they at least needed to take responsibility. And we were old customers! Needless to say we switched 😉

      Delete
  3. Wow, now THAT is taking a bad situation and making something beautiful out of it! Gorgeous 'fix' for the bedsheet. They should have acknowledged their mistake and replaced it or paid for YOU to replace it or done SOMETHING. (But glad you switched to a different laundry if they wouldn't admit to their mistake.)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their indifference left a bad taste, Stephanie, but it got my brain thinking of solutions and that is always a high 😃

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous way to make it look like it came that way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could've spent a bit more effort on recreating the print, but I'm happy with the freehand, too, Sue 😃

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, that's not a remedy but an enhancement, "brava bravissima". They sure lost a client only for their obstinacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful way of putting it 😃 Thanks, Nin 😍

      Delete
  6. This is such a clever idea!! And so many people would have just thrown it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, Emily, I don't throw away easily... I demote them to kitchen towels, dusters, etc. 😁🤪 Takes a couple of sewing sessions, but I get a year's supply!

      Delete