Thursday 29 October 2020

tree in time

Pin It now!

Digging through my tatting stuff for another project, this tree pattern sprung up! I had sketched the pattern in January, but didn't get around to uploading.  

Wonky  Spunk  Tree   

free pattern pdf

This was the final motif of the 25 Snowflake Project from last year. All patterns are listed in my patterns page, as well as in the Snowflakes' Google-Docs file (which needs a bit of updating).

This is tatted in 3 parts, though one can climb out with split chains to avoid cutting and joining. It is based on a sketch I showed here.

Worked with one shuttle and a Red Heart size 20 ball, ctm. 
Final measurements : 6 cms wide and approx 8.5 cms tall.
This is a prototype, but worked quite well the first time round! It is very wobbly since most rings are unattached. It was deliberate, so that I could insert a string of beads later, as desired.

Under fairy lights, shadow play gives it a 3-D appearance. Despite being floppy, it is good to glue down on a card or to sew as an applique.

Here it is with a string of assorted size 10 to 12 beads. Notice that there are 2 strings. I used a sewing needle with firm thread, joining to each free ring, as well as at other points.

Finally, these larger size 4 beads in assorted colours were sewn in. I thought they would work as baubles :-) With a bit of pre-planning, some of these 'baubles' could be left to dangle. However, in this case I needed them to join the free elements between layers.
It can be used as a tree ornament, but will require stiffening.

This time I simply inserted a couple of the model pictures to my pattern image and converted it into a pdf. Each of the 3 parts (A, B, C) is in a different colour. Here's the pdf link again.
This is kind of freeform - easy to change size and shape. making each model exclusive and unique, as in Nature! Hope you enjoy tatting and gifting.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't understand, Linda. It works for me and is a shareable link. Could you try this please & sorry for the inconvenience - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OvjFoToaeaH2zxsN9jTDxOsgp2S7nJ6p/view?usp=sharing

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pattern!! I see so many good possibilities: using white or variegated green/white for "snow". A larger tree in paracord with snowflakes for a no mess tree. For that matter, a decoration for the front door! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, see this is why I prefer to give the link of my blog post in social media platforms rather than the direct pdf link .... the ideas and perspective from commenters can really expand way beyond my capabilities! Thanks, Mel !

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane - it can certainly be unique each time it is tatted! And Mel has just left some great ideas!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for letting me know :-) I hope Linda has been able to access it, too.

      Delete
  5. Urocza choinka ,dzięki za schemat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you create cute forest, Elżusia 🌲🌲🌲

      Delete
  6. That is one cute tree! The link worked fine for me! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess this wonky tree needs your 'jaunty' snowflake, Diane 🌲❄🌲

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It does have Character to a fault, Sue 😉🌲🌲

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret 🌲 Wonder if it will ever make it to one of your lovely cards 😉😃

      Delete
  9. This would look terrific on a special Christmas card to a special someone. Delightful and easy! And decorating the tree creativity:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, each tree can be uniquely special with personalized decorations, Anita :-))))

      Delete