Sunday, 24 June 2018

rotten core

Pin It now!
… or rotten pulp ?!

I've been spending the last couple of weeks bringing my four Design Round Robin doilies up to date. They had been neglected for the last couple of months, but now I am finally at par. I will share them in more detail gradually.
This post is merely about one rotten evening.

I was tatting the 3rd round on my Dancing Peacocks doily. Half way through I realised I’d been attaching it on the wrong side ! Much as I love fs/bs tatting, herein lies the disadvantage.
Not only can you see the colour blips in previous rounds (in pic below), but also how the stitches in the last round look more like rolled tatting with misplaced picots (purple in above pic) – a visual reminder that there is a distinct front and back side to tatted lace in directional and colour tatting.

About to snip off both threads, I remembered Jane McLellan's excellent pictorial directing us to snip rings and not chains.  I had stopped doing this ever since Carollyn's whip stitch method entered my tatting life, taking away all fear of hiding ends.

Fortunately, this round is mostly chains with stitches coming from the purple; tailor-made for the above technique. So off went the scissors on the mustard core thread and in no time I had rescued all the purple. Instead of cutting across the rings, I snipped through the core at the base of the ring.
For some of the stubborn points, especially near the lock joins, I inserted a fine crochet hook to make enough space for the scissor tip.

The unravelled thread is still wavy and vulnerable as seen above (these are 3 strands of Anchor embroidery thread). So I added another step -
I started winding this unraveled end on a new bobbin, giving it time to rest and recover. With the unused part of purple thread now at the free end, I started the round again with this ‘fresh’ thread. 
Turns out, I didn’t even reach the unravelled part in the corrected round - in a future post.

I lost my tatting and time, but did learn Aurora's method of capturing the inner ring in onion rings. Kathleen, who designed this round, used it and I followed accordingly. Aurora had shared it in the online class but I hadn't tried it out.
So not all was lost - new method learned, and pulp saved !!!  

Ahem..... the rotten core and pulp have twisted my arm to include their comment :
"Stop blaming the threads -- the fault lies in this tatter's scattered attention !"

happy tatting always ...
let's make sure our fruit and lace stay healthy :-))) 
 

10 comments:

  1. Not confined to tatting unfortunately - I realised after 3 hours of beaded knitting this morning that I was following the wrong part of the pattern! Admittedly easier to undo than tatting, though I was so afraid of losing beads that I undid it stitch by stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely doily! And time is never wasted when learning! Aurora's method is brilliant, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doily looks great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always proud of people when they show they are human and can make mistakes and it is nice to share how to get out of it too. I like that you mentioned that you separate threads to snip it is very important and helpful. Thanks so much for you pattern making of the kiss kiss fish and for got to say love these colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful doily and great colours for a peacock theme! I love the 3 layer onion rings with alternating colours.
    It is always a shame when you need to cut off your tatting but the idea to save as much thread as possible is very good. I haven't thought about cutting only the rings, I will keep that in mind next time (fingers crossed I won't need it though).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much dear tatters! It’s always a pleasure to read your lovely thoughts & comments :-)

    Absolutely, Jane. Crafters are not usually credited with the immense amount of patience & perseverance that goes into handwork! Beauty usually overshadows the toil.

    Nin, Aurora’s method reminded me of many of your own techniques – the way to fold under!

    Oh, I am very much human, Carollyn ;-P I show most of my mistakes especially where we can all learn. And I’m glad I converted the diagram to pdf today – noticed a mistake in the order of dorsal fins ;-P

    I definitely hope and wish that we won’t need to cut off our work, Lavi ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always provide great lessons, thanks Muskaan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Bernice ;-D

      Delete