Monday 4 May 2015

Tatting Tutorial : Layered Rings Part 2 and sneak peek

Pin It now!
Ninetta’s Layered Rings in Modern Tatting Part 2
Original Pattern : Thérèse de Dillmont  Plate V, Fig25.  (click for pattern details)


Many paths to the same destination, as Ninetta wisely said.
The way I interpreted her diagram was not what she had intended or done. But it worked! Later, when making the Part 1 tut, I followed the basic pædogogical principle : from easy to difficult, from simple to complex, so that tatters at any skill level would benefit. Hence, I started with reverse work in 1st motif & later introduced the all-frontside tatting in 2nd motif. But here’s the catch :
Ninetta’s method is the Simplest !!! I do apologize for the muddling up of sequence ;-P

In any experiment or trial, one should change one factor at a time, keeping all others constant. That is what I have done here, too : threads same, shuttles same, pattern same. The only factor to change is the method !

Please refer back to my previous tutorial here, for more stepwise pictures, if required.


Ninetta’s Method
(along with her Tips)

UPDATE : This involves tatting from front/top side only ! The entire motif can be accomplished with frontside tatting, without any need to reverse or turn work. (except when joining 1st petal to central floating ring).

“The mock picot between FR and SR should be of the same size of picots in FR. Then, when you join the first time, take care that the mock picot doesn't twist. It also depends on if you take the first or the last picot of the FR, I took the last.” 

“No matter if you start tatting front side or back side, if join one picot or two together, the result is quite the same I see.”

Additional tip: The FR size can be altered. If one wants to increase each segment of FR from 3 to 4, then the ‘hidden’ part of the petals (at start & end of petal ring) will also increase by 1 ie; from 2 to 3, before the petals are joined to FR. And so on.
Thus the central Floating ring segments should have 1 ds more than the petal.

Thank you, Ninetta, for sharing your tips, techniques, and expertise :-)

********************

Using Two Colours as a design element
So far, I used 2 colours in order to make the progression & sequence of working this pattern, clear. Now here is how 2 colours can be used as a design element in the same pattern.
Again, I am demonstrating only One of the ways, as an idea towards what can be accomplished … 



I think my petal picots should’ve been a tad longer to have the petals lay completely flat & avoid that slight upward/outward cupping or bulge in the centre. When I paid heed to it, you can see the difference in a flatter 2nd ring as compared to the first slightly bulging one.



If one continues, switching colours/shuttles for subsequent motifs along entire length, one will get a nice undulating braid effect. This would look good as an edging, insertion, on a doily round…

The same concept can be used to create other shapes including a square, circle, rectangle, hexagon, & so on. Eg. For a Square motif, one can use one colour on the inner half & the 2nd colour on the outer half, thus giving a square-within-square effect.

I have tried not to miss out any tip or step. But am struggling with keeping my concentration (down with a viral infection). Hence, please don’t hesitate to point out any discrepancies or errors in the above.
And the pdf of these tuts will have to wait a while (“Again?!”, you say, “so what’s new” ;-P) till I am satisfied with the layout, etc.

***************

A peek into the next post(s) before I start Ninetta's Curled Rings tutorial series :

Extending the Pattern ...
Extending the Idea
with patterns to share !

*******************
Happy Tatting :-))


11 comments:

  1. Ooooh! The pink flower is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Ninetta :-D
      Will be sharing the stitch count soon...

      Delete
  2. Preciosa la flor me encanta,saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on this muskaan, thanks, but am several steps behind you! Lovely flower too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ! I'm sure you will come up with something spectacular, Jane, ..... Looking forward to your work & application :-)
      Glad you've taken a mini-break from knitting, to tat .

      Delete
  4. I really must try the layered rings like the ones used in Ankars tatting. I imagine that the process would be similar to what you've described here. I'm afraid I will have a never ending supply of ideas with all of these techniques. Far too many to see them all come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to learn Ankars tatting (great effects there), so cannot comment on the similarity or otherwise of techniques/process. But I agree with you about the plethora of options .... even a single technique can generate so many ideas that it becomes difficult to handle them all. I just seem to be on a never-ending learning spree, with a quick application of that particular lesson. For the rest, I just have to make an entry in my notebook of ideas for some future date ;-)

      Delete
  5. I've found a pattern for a little round motif at p.48 of "A tatter's workbook" by A.Tatter (lacis pubblication), that has flowers with 5 petals and the same layered central ring. Just to let you know my discovery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful ! Thanks for sharing, Ninetta :-)
      A couple of questions -- which is earlier Dillmont's or this Lacis one ? (the year)
      Is the method to achieve layering the same in both - ie. sewing it on later ? Or the way you updated with modern techniques ?

      Delete
    2. A tatter's workbook it's from 1920, while Dillmont's must be earlier than 1890 because that's when she died. In both there's flowers with a little lifted central ring tatted as last element. They could be tatted both with the "modern" way.

      Delete