Wednesday 28 December 2022

knit picking

Pin It now!

 I am vegetating - happily! Partially the aftermath of a double infection, partially the cold wave, partially the break in momentum, .... There is literally tons I want and have to do yet cannot rouse myself. And I can't even feel the guilt ;-P. I have literally pushed myself to write this post today, something I love doing otherwise - gotta start somewhere.

Lily Adam of the hugely popular Just-Tatting FB group recently invited some of her friends to join a new group she started called Knit It Fix It. After 4 long years, her hope and encouragement finally roused me to knit something long on my to-knit list. 

I have forever wanted something proper to scrub the soil off potatoes and this being the season for freshly harvested potatoes, it seemed everything fell into place. I chose this size 3 mercerized cotton and UK#12 needles to knit a very basic pattern. The variegation was part of the reason, besides the fact that it was my first ever knitting with thread.

Worked in the diagonal - another first for me. The increase is from 4 stitches to 54 and then reduced.

Today I put it to the test scrubbing potatoes and the texture worked beautifully. Hubby thought I had made a coaster/mat and liked it very much! Now there's a thought and a good way to use up some of my thread stash while selecting a new stitch/pattern for each! 

This is the most basic pattern I found on the net - https://diynatural.com/how-to-knit-a-dishcloth/, but am open to any tips for the future. Care to share your tips?

Undoubtedly, it was great to pick up my knitting needles after so many years and knitting with thread was enjoyable, too. The advantage with thread is that it does not have to be confined to the winters. But of course one needs the will ;-D

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry to hear you had some health issues. I hope you are feeling better. The potato scrubber looks really cute with those colours! It's a shame you have to use it for such a dirty job. If I were you, I'd use a rag for the dirt scrubbing and keep the knitted mat as a coaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'll take you up on that, Lavi, coaster it is 😁 Will knit a smaller one for the scrub. Feeling fine now, and hopefully energetic to start something new 💗

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic!!! :) Love the color!!!
    My friend knits dishcloths all the time and she says use the Sugar and Cream yarn it's 100% cotton. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Sue, will check whether it is available here. 💗

      Delete
  3. Good way to start regaining your mojo. The variegated thread looks so go on the diagonal. I know there are a lot of dishcloth patterns on Pinterest. I saved a round one, also good in variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had first gone to your blog for dishcloths, Jane, but then decided to go basic for my first ❤️ The topmost pic shows best colour fidelity.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear you were sick! Knitting something basic sounds like a good way to work on regaining your energy after an illness. I really like the variegated color used on the diagonal in your dishcloth. I may 'need' to try that myself. ;)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the variegation that had me picking the garter stitch. Steph, and I am pretty happy with it 😁😍 And I'm back in full force!!!

      Delete