Monday 17 October 2022

Evviva! and Ouch

Pin It now! I've been on cloud 9 for close to a fortnight now! And I still haven't caught my breath. Ninetta Caruso, my partner in crime, sent me the world!
And read on to see what my hubby had to say and why the 'ouch' with the 'evviva' ....

This is her first published book in Italian. Ninetta Caruso is now a published author in tatting and I have my own complimentary and autographed copy to gawk at!!! It covers the history of tatting from an Italian viewpoint; treble tatting (finally the Inventor gives it to us in a book form); and the Swirling Butterflies doily pattern.
Many thanks to Alessandra Caputo for the critical role she played towards the publication.  
As a surprise, I had worked the outer round of her beautifully designed doily as per pattern this time, and haven't yet told or shown her ;-D  More about that below.

And look at all the other stuff that accompanied the book! ALL made by her! But this is such a jumble and each piece needs to be admired individually. 
Most of items shared here are already is Ninetta's blog with lots of details. Scroll down to the end of the page and look under respecitve Labels https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/ 

Hubby still cannot get over the fact that this is indeed tatting! He absolutely loved this pair of earrings. Notice how tiny they are compared to my thumbnail.
Each pair is so dainty and small, so elegant.
I need a magnifier (or a microscope, seriously!) to see and understand what she's done here. 

Her own hand-painted bookmark with a tatting insert.

Her Bosa's filet lace bookmark above and a tatted motif below.

Such a cute sampler of her Bosa filet lace, and so tiny, so fine. The net is first knotted by hand, then embroidered over.   
These beautiful feather-light tatted beads on my palm are barely 1.5cms!!!! Wonder if I've ever seen such tiny seed beads either. How did she string them?! I fumble with much larger seed beads.

Another gorgeous motif in pleasant colourway with a doodad in the center.

More tatted motifs, the beads, and the Bosa's filet work. And she flawlessly fit in 4 Heart Squares in the same space as my single one! I don'e whether its the threads or her tension, but her motifs are all fairly stiff.
Comparing Ninetta's and my tatting, now hubby says her work is like a 5-star gourmet meal to my dhaba (roadside food) style fare; like Rolex to HMT (Indians upto my generation might remember those bulky wrist watches). This is where the "ouch" of my post title comes in, LOL. Suddenly my fawned-upon lacework is reduced to ashes ;-D Oh yes, my confidence has certainly taken a beating!

She bought me a 1920 vintage bobbin lace frame, too! It is perfect size to sew on a cushion cover, but after consulting with Nin, it might not stand the strain and wash. I'll have to think of some other way to display it - it cannot just be stashed away.

Hand-painted shuttle by Nin ...
.... and the other side of the same shuttle.
And her 2nd hand-painted shuttle with her favourite butterfly.

A 3rd hooked bobbin shuttle is decorated by Dali L'artista (or Lina) and I can't wait to use these shuttles for size 80 threads. 
The 2 pouches above and the needle case are all sewn by Nin, too! Perfection again. Such a multi-talented lady with perfect stitches and strokes in each craft.

A nice pop-up card with her warm message. She chose it because the flowers seem to be placed on a tatted doily.
And metallic threads galore!
I had asked for only a sampler of Sanbest which is so popular and works wonderfully for tatted jewellery, and she sent me all these!
A couple from Edda Guastella, etc., too.
I really have no excuse now to not tat jewellery, right?

The moment Nin told me that the book will definitely be published, I snipped off the leaf motifs joining the flowers, and set about tatting the outer round as per her pattern. You might remember my dilemma with what colour to use which is why I veered from track. This time I simply picked up the cream and went to work. 
Ninetta honoured me by asking me to write a Foreword for her book. We hope the book wil be published in English as well, though several non-Italian tatters have already bought either the physical or digital copy and are translating it.

I left the 7 extra butterflies, though. Perhaps 7 more wouldn't look  bad either? 

In Anchor size 40, the diameter is about 40cms.
The colours are more vibrant in real, but this will have to do for now.
Oh, and I'd had the immense pleasure of suggesting a name for the doily which Ninetta accepted! 
I placed Ninetta's size 80 motif over my size 40 one for a comparison. 
When I'd sent Nin some of my tatted lace, I told her it would be gigantic and bulky beside her own work since she prefers finer threads and doll-house sized lace! Yet I NEVER thought I'd be transported to Lilliput. My photos don't give much of an idea of how tiny her pieces are and how well-made. I actually need magnifiers to really see some of her stitches. 


It has been my good fortune to be around when treble tatting was invented in 2018 and to see it evolve. Ninetta changed the entire tatting scene by giving us a 3rd stitch. 
Never ever say that tatting is a dying art with  such a revolutionary invention.
Never every say that tatting is made only of 2 stitches...proudly boast about the tds. 


I am still too overwhelmed with this bonanza and with the sweetness with which my friend and partner  has gifted it all. I seriously believe I need at least one more lifetime only to try, learn, tat, and experiment with all that she has shared in Less than 10 years!

grazie mille mio cara amica
🦋💝🦋

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hopefully by spring next year my health will have improved, Madhur, and then you'll get to see it all in person 😃❤️

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, what a wonderful gift! Enjoy. It’s always good to see work done by a master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Jane, it is all perfection gift-wrapped 🧡💙

      Delete
  3. 🥰🌹🌹🌹 thank you, dear PIC! And many thanks to your husband! Now I'm blushing! You are so kind! I've sent everything with joy, you should use them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't thank you enough, Nin 🥰 Every time I use something I will think of you even more ;-D

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful gift!! I'm imagining grins on both sides of the gift. True? Now, repeat after me: "I am a gifted tatter." Because you are! And so is Ninetta!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Mel, the grins are still strong and glowing 😁 and "I am an improved tatter" 😍

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. They sure are, Anetta, and hope I can do justice to them and the sentiment behind them 😍

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful gift no wonder you are on cloud 9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally awesome!!! :) I am sure we are going to see lots of awesome tatting with all those new supplies!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope to enjoy the goodies and do justice to the threads, Sue 😍

      Delete
  8. You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful journey and discovery along with you as you show and tell Ninetta's tatting and other lace items, the tatting shuttles and the threads. Glad you described the differences in your tatting threads and tensions. It's such a wonderful feeling to observe the incredible works of others especially when they share their tools and supplies, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've said it all, Anita 🥰 And yet the sheer joy cannot always be described in words 😁🧡

      Delete