Friday 24 December 2021

block your tree

Pin It now!

Guess what! Ninetta played Santa and shared a cute edging pattern as gift. One more inspired fallout from the 100 year patterns of Frau Endrucks.

Christmassy Edging or Bordino Natalizio by Ninetta Caruso – click to download the pattern pdf – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvgQKW6lXclzK8wIspwm6busbrI0e7Mu/view

When Ninetta first shared her prototype motif – yes, she couldn’t contain her excitement – I thought she was going to turn it into a star or snowflake! I guess it can still be done.

Pattern/notes for both single and 2-colour versions is included in the pdf. Anna Tedesco helped in it's translation to Italian, too.
There are several ways in which we can choose where to place which colour, in the 2-colour model. 5 such methods are listed in the Lock Join Plus series, and links are given for individual pictorials here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17zsM3JaLO7r0ajg8VOnv5IcJ-kLNqEiU/view

Recently when she sent the longer version, my imagination went haywire! My first impression was that of a bird. (I roughly sketched some elements to highlight the shape over the tatted models...)
Is it a peacock? Is it a pigeon? Perhaps it is a Christmas rooster to take to mass (Misa del Gallo)? Or should it have been a turkey for Thanksgiving?

The tree itself can easily be adapted into a bell, too! Or perhaps a turban or an elf's hat?
Hubby got into the visual game and agreed with the bird analogies. But he loved the sense of movement in this white version. He felt there was some creepy crawly moving surreptitiously but couldn’t make up his mind whether it was a a snail, caterpillar or snake.

So, what do You see?

Mind you, though inspired by Endrucks’ Ninetta did not actually refer to any single pattern or motif when designing this! It was only when she sent the draft and asked me, that I told her about the similarity in pattern #17 block. The ‘blocks’ in this book have such a wide range of shapes, visual effects, as well as some difference in actual tatting, leading to infinite possibilities. Never-ending ideas! I have collated many examples – both original and also some variations by our volunteers, and will showcase them in future. Quite an eye-opener.

Hope you enjoy tatting this clever and cute edging (or any of the ideas thereof) and when you share on social media, remember to use the hashtag #Endrucks1920Project, so that your version comes up in a search.

You can find all of Endrucks' patterns (& derivations) in modern style here -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17LEVftXweztBIOWh4sL4BB7bX65ssoOsOn4oXIgCepY/view

Many many thanks to Ninetta for this wonderful gift!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot Muskaan! Lovely post! 🥰 I like all your ideas, my favourite is the pigeon, that can be also a dove of peace for Easter. I should remember this, but I cannot rely on myself, I even forgot the snowflake version 😅 Thank you for all your support and for proofreading the document, your contribute is always determinant for the best success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the dove idea, Nin... will Google to find out it's significance to Easter. 🥰
      And it struck me first thing on waking up, that this pattern n.17 is indeed incredible. Remember all the ideas I posted a month or so back? In fact our 1st gift is a direct extraction 🤩😁 Will update both posts with mutual links.

      Delete
  2. Or the three wise men perhaps. Thanks for sharing the pattern and all those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool visual, Jane 😍 Yes, now I can see their flowing robes! 💖

      Delete
  3. Beautiful christmas edging,
    I wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy, creative new year to you and Vernon as well, Margaret 😍

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and yours !!!

    Always enjoy your posts !!!

    JillMcTats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A merry Christmas and safe, healthy, happy year ahead with tons of creativity in the mix, Jill 😍 And you sent me very early gifts, that I will enjoy tatting in the years ahead!

      Delete
  5. It's fabulous!!! :)
    I love learning what you see in other patterns and designs. I am learning to do that more and more. Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Sue 💖 In my next post, I will share the discovery of 3 heart patterns from a single doily 🤩

      Delete