Friday 9 July 2021

a pernickety question

Pin It now!

 When I focused on bilateral symmetry in this pattern, I forgot about the blocks (see 3rd pic below). Thus, while most rings on left and right halves face the same way, the chains in the left and right blocks are incongruous -- instead of being mirror images, they all face the same direction.

Block Tatting is made up of rows/tiers of chains. These rows/tiers can be worked one above the other, or one below the other.

1. Block tiers moving up ie. tatted ABOVE the previous, are simple to make, joining below with a lock join to the picot(s) on previous chain. Like the blocks in pic #1 below -

The block on the right is tatted the same way starting from the shortest chain on top, and moving 'above' to the next row/tier (though it looks upside down).
Now compare the left and right blocks with respect to 2 variables - the colour of each chain/block, and where the chains face. Not symmetrical, right?!

2. When the next tier is tatted BELOW the previous one, it means we need a picot on the core thread to which the new chain level can join. We need down/downward/inward facing/intruding picots! Of the many methods, holding the picot space with a paper clip is most common. This is how the right block was tatted ....

In above model, the left block is tatted 'normally' with chains stacked above. But for a mirror image, the block on the right is tatted with the next chain worked Below the previous one, with a regular picot join instead of lock join. The penultimate chain (beige) in the right block held 4 paper clips till each join was made! (sorry about the shoddy tatting)
Again, compare the 2 blocks in terms of colour placement and chain direction.
Mirror images!!! 
This is the way Pina Pinto has worked her sampler for the Endrucks Project - I will be sharing the pattern when it is diagrammed.

In the above model, all the blocks (in cream and in purple) face towards the right. (The cream rings along the 'belt' are not mirror images since I did not think ahead). Since the row moves from left to right, it is easier to tat in this manner.
Frau Endrucks tats all her blocks with the next chain above the previous one, although she states clearly in her tips that it is not necessary to have picots. Simply move the stitches a bit, clearing space to make the join.

Now here's my pernickety question - Would you be Mr Meticulous with perfect mirroring of blocks despite the invasion & interference of all those paper clips or would you rather be Dr Downplay, just going with the flow without bothering overly much about the left and right sides?
 
Which factors would influence your choice -  whether working with 1 or 2 colours; mood; time constraints; competition submission; etc. 

Please enlighten and entertain ....


And hopefully you will join the global lace community on International Lace Day (July 11th) ....choose your form of lace-making and celebrate the day. I have already registered (free, but only a few hours left, so hurry) with this ILD group on Facebook and intend to tat a new earring/pendant - the motif can actually be repeated to create a lovely edging! I am hoping it will work .... let's see. Off to load my shuttles. Maybe I can upload a diagram on or before 11th, in case you wish to tat and experiment with the same pattern? Stay tuned .....

10 comments:

  1. A lot of aspects to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But which would You choose, Jane? 😁😍💗

      Delete
    2. I’m not a perfectionist. Nothing gets done if you insist on perfect.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely Jane, especially since I know I can never belt out anything 'perfect' 😁 Best to enjoy the journey, though I love challenging myself, too.

      Delete
  2. I confess Mr. Meticulous used to come often here, but lately I enjoy a lot more the friendship with Dr. Downplay, my eyesight has worsened and maybe that is the reason... I love the BT and anyway the whole drawing/shape is symmetrical even if the single chains face in a different direction. The use of BT in this book is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those Mr M and Dr D moments and never know which will dominate 😜😁
      Nin, I agree - and especially after finding one more way to tat such blocks!😍

      Delete
  3. It depends. I would likely be both Mr M and Dr D. If the overall piece relied on symmetry, details should be symmetrical. If the overall piece has movement in a specific direction, I wouldn't sweat it detail. I don't see this piece a symmetrical with the difference between top and bottom. So, I probably wouldn't sweat it......maybe......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another superb observation and rationale. I agree with you, Mel, that there are times I am Mr M and others I enjoy being Dr D. Having to upload pics of my work has brought in a bit more of the Mr M but I still enjoy it all 😍💖

      Delete
  4. I am a perfectionist, but only in relation to myself. And your circuit looks great, Muskaan! I didn’t pay attention to the asymmetry. I thought it was such an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena 💖😍 Frau Endrucks was a very practical designer as is evident in her Tips, and her sequence usually flows easily.
      Tatters who have responded to this question are split down the middle with some of us lining the middle 😁

      Delete