Monday 25 January 2021

dancing continuously

Pin It now!

 My apologies to those who have participate in the TAL - a bit under the weather. 

Carin Jansen’s Angel Choir doily TAL – Round 4 

pattern - http://handwerk-fee.blogspot.com/2020/11/engelenkoor.html



Techniques : 2 shuttles ctm, long chains, lock join, dot (tiny ring).
Optional Techniques : 1 shuttle and ball ctm, mock picot, adding thread on a chain, substituting dot, fs/bs tatting.
All tutorials, including for needle tatting, can be found here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/p/tatting-resources.html

Anita Barry and I join forces to share our notes and thoughts .....
This is Anita's doily all pinned out on foam at the end of round 3. In her own words -
"I felt I needed to pin Round 3 flat in preparation for next round. I needed my Picots of the Round 3 rings to be fairly centered above each ring. That way as I’m tatting the chain of Round 4 I have correct distances from one center picot join to the next center picot join."
As pointed out in previous post, we can climb out of round 3 by working the final ring as a split ring. Then leave a tiny mock picot and continue with the chains.
I wanted to change the colour, so after making the mock picot, I added yellow ball to the green core from shuttle, hiding the yellow tail under first few stitches. 
I snipped the unwanted green (on left) and later whip stitched it under the split ring.













Cristina Reb (facebook) followed the tip to work both rounds in one pass.
Carin tells us she did the same for her white version. But a designer has to keep the pattern simple and uniform to make it easy to follow. As tatters, we have the liberty to tweak the basic framework to suit our skills. All the hard work has been taken care of by the designer!
My round ruffled, but settled beautifully after blocking with the rolling pin.

This round is made up of mainly chains with just one dot per repeat where we need to reverse work to tat it. I realised too late there was this barely visible ring - I might've gone with yellow throughout!
Worked clockwise, mainly from the front, this is a speedy row.
In Lizbeth size 80, the doily is now 12cms in diameter.
The dot is merely a 4ds ring but it serves to increase the height of the adjoining chains. Perhaps one can easily substitute these dots by simply adding a couple more ds to the chains on both sides, and a small picot to join them. The quick round will become quicker still with All Chains only. Just a thought for the lazy tatter!
TIP : We can climb out of this round as well with a short (8ds) split chain. The next round will then start with a split ring for the center ring in the clover.

If you join us on facebook, remember to tag your post : #AngelChoirTAL to allow us all to enjoy your version!
I have completed the next round and started the 6th. Wonder what you will think of the colour placement!

8 comments:

  1. Well designed pattern. Fun to tat. Nice variety of techniques . Pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to the designer, Carin Jansen, for sharing with us. 💖😍

      Delete
  2. Good writeup Muskaan! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about the hard work the designer puts into the pattern. I've begun to write out the pattern as simple as possible knowing that experienced tatters may scoff and discount it as too easy and boring. Their loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mel! I find writing out a pattern can sometimes be way more time-consuming and mentally exhausting than actually designing 😃 I have often sought help from my helpful friends 💖

      Delete
  4. This is a nice pattern and you have beautiful colors as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choosing a colour palette from the available stash, and placing them 'correctly' is sometimes daunting! Glad you like it, Marja 💖

      Delete