Monday 4 May 2020

first leg of tatting adventure

Pin It now!
Sometimes one stumbles upon an old, neglected blog and their blog list takes you to contemporary blogs. Always fun scrolling through them!
Over a year back I came across Natalie RogersTat Your Own Adventure and thought it was a brilliant and fun designing idea! I saved it to try out privately but guess what, she has started a new round on facebook! Of course, I am participating, and this is my first motif - 


I’ve never played poker, but I do believe I’ve been dealt a Superb hand! (Should I take it up professionally? ;-p).
The 2nd card with a ‘?’ is like a joker – I can choose any stitch count. 
And the ‘7’ is the last card can be turned around to make it a ‘2’ if desired. So my options have multiplied.

Anyway, I only had energy to tat this little freeform piece last night. Will continue tonight and post the final. I have a few ideas for a flat symmetrical motif, too.

Worked in Lizbeth size 80, it measures 4½ cms high and 1 cm across.

I started with three 7ds rings (picot after every stitch), followed by two 5ds rings, and two 1ds rings, all separated with bare thread space. Turn back with the same number of rings, but I made a lock join to the bts between rings, encapsulating green thread within, since I wanted a touch of green in the inflorescence.

The stem is a Josephine chain (15-15), followed by 2 chains of 11 folded over, followed by another JCh. I left a paperclip on core thread after the first JCh. After completing the leaf, I made a join on this inward picot before continuing the remaining stem.

This is a great way to overcome designer’s block or for budding designers to take a semi-structured fun journey.

Onemadtatter came up with another creative option translating chemical notations into tatting stitches! Read how she saw tatting notations in valence electron configurations and actually tatted a Krypton motif!


Aren’t we richer for the options shared by creative tatters and designers?!
My adventure will continue – this is only the first leg and I am already having fun! 
Come travel with us !!!  
Thanks, Natalie J



10 comments:

  1. Very pretty. And yes (just remembered)I tried long ago for fun, to use Chinese lucky numbers for a tatting pattern. Now I'll have to think where and what it was💐

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really lovely! And you can also layer your rings to have a more "crowded" bunch (like you did in that yellow garland)! That is straight flush! 🃏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful design! There are so many ideas, and I just don't have time to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. During this shelter in place time I have been challenging myself to spend time each day putting music into thread with tatting. Your adventure inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so very much - Sue, Madhur, Jane :-))))

    Carollyn, Chinese lucky numbers sounds interesting! Hope you find and share.

    Nin, my brain is boggling over all the possibilities, all the paths! I made a straight edging trial as well ;-P
    Okay, 'straight flush' - yes, my parents definitely played some form of poker during friendly Diwali get-togethers.

    Diane, wish I had time to tat for more ice drops!

    Mel, I am always amazed at how you translate music into lace, how your brain functions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, I am working on mine, as a i started later you, like you I have never played poker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continued and completed this piece the next day, Margaret, and even started a 2nd design. But life got in the way and I haven't checked facebook either for almost a week now. Hope I spot your's.

      Delete