Sunday 30 December 2018

flower flakes

Pin It now!
along with hearts and angels!

You know how I enjoy extracting motifs and smaller designs from a larger pattern and highlighting them through colour. Don’t get me wrong – I love all-white snowflakes (such as this one), but the need to play around gets the better of me ;-P Perhaps I use colours as a Freudian cover-up to hide my tatting flaws ?! Also, the stiffness of some of the white threads is off-putting.

Sharon Briggs has been on a snowflake-designing spree for the past several weeks. And I jumped in with a few flowery expressions – flower flakes! These were made a few weeks back during my convalescence, with scarcely any notes. I don’t even remember my tatting order. A couple of them cupped a bit, but in the end they blocked out fine. Some of these could look good tessellated, hence I have included dimensions for both point-to-point and the length as a tiled motif.

TIP : All her snowflakes can be worked continuously. Due to use of colours, I worked some of the rounds separately, while in some one thread continued for some rounds. Working in one pass is optional – for those not comfortable with split rings and split chains, cut and tie after a round and start next round afresh.
Techniques I used : 2-shuttle, one-pass, ctm, rosette/rose medallion, daisy medallion, lock join, thrown/floating rings, dimpled rings, split ring &/or split chain to climb out/climb in, 3 threads (double shuttle).
TõT
Flower Flakes – stylised

1. Poinsettia
Anchor size 40 : 6½ cms as flake ; 5½ cms as motif
She called it "unimaginative". Hardly ! I could see a poinsettia there, though my model seems to be squatter than her's. I wouldn’t mind adding one more round to bring in a more petal-y poinsettia look.

2. Blue Bonnet (top view)

Anchor size 40 : >4 cms as flake ; <4 cms as motif
I came across blue bonnets in a story I was reading and loved them.... which is how I had visualized this in shades of blue. I wanted to make the outer round in a darker shade, except I'd have to use embroidery threads & didn't want to hamper my tatting flow.

3. Cattleya Orchid

Anchor white & Lizbeth purple splendour size 40 - 4½ cms as flake ; 4 cms as motif
I like how this turned out !!!

4. Madonna Lily

Anchor size 40 : 7 cms as flake ; >6 cms as motif
I simply love the ‘filigree’ and colours would probably take away from that look. Hence, a white lily ; the central ring could’ve been yellow, though. 
I'm hoping to give this another go in colours though - it's such a pretty pattern!
I’m pretty certain I mixed up 2 whites while making it – one was a tad finer, vintage.
TõT

Hearts and Angels
Sharon also has quite a few flakes with dimpled heart motifs.

I test-tatted this Daisy Ring Heart pattern.

Anchor size 40 : 7½  cms as flake ; <7 cms as motif
Despite using very small picots in the penultimate round, 
the outermost round required 7 ds chain segments throughout – just as Sharon had predicted.
But do you see the angels between the hearts?! 
Or perhaps bats if you want to mix in Halloween ;-P
Y
Ever since her first heart snowflake, I wanted to make only the heart in red. I’ll get to that, but for this December 22, 2018 pattern I used pink hearts against a cream thread.

Anchor size 40 : 8  cms as flake ; 7 cms as motif
I started with one shuttle and ball, ctm for the central ring.
Then I included a pink shuttle for the hearts. Since I couldn’t work the connecting chains with direct tatting (unflipped or reverse stitch), they were tatted with double shuttles – the 2 shuttles stuck together temporarily.
The 2 outer rounds were worked with single shuttle and ball again.
Y

The above pic was taken before I worked the pink hearts flake.

I now have 8 of her 2018 flakes tatted (2 more flower flakes here). 
There are still a few more of her flakes I’d like to tat in the coming days. 
Except she’s belting them out faster than I can tat ;-P What a bonanza for tatters !!!
TõT
Related Posts
flower flakes (the flower within)
heart flakes (the heart within)

Thank you, Sharon, for a fun-filled winter, and the promise of more to come!


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower flakes, I know snowflakes are white but with the added bit of colour they change into beautiful flowers.

    I wish you and your family a very happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  2. All flakes are beautiful! Cattleya Orchid is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Orchid best of all these supreme flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your coloured versions, they're all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're use of colour has really enhanced Sharon's designs, especially the poinsettia. Funnily enough, I saw a real poinsettia at a neighbour's house yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishes for a TATalizing year ahead to all ☺☺☺ I am eager for you to join me again this year 💖💖💖

    I love the various perspectives and preferences voiced above !!!

    And Jane, how exciting to see the real flowers during summer! One year we had cut and painted thermocol poinsettias to decorate our BEd college walls. They looked superb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all fabulous!!!! :)
    Wonderful colors too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them, Sue :-) A very happy new year to you :-)))

      Delete
  8. I think they're all gorgeous. When I'm in snowflake mood only white will do, but you bring so much more to the designs when you do them in colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the designer sweats it out, we tatters like to play & enjoy ;-P I'm so happy you like them, Sharon.

      Delete