Wednesday, 24 September 2025

its FanCatstic

Pin It now!

This post has been Years in the waiting! Every few months I push it to the front and then something else elbows it out. Part of the reason is that I needed to find my own notes and observations and choose from a plethora of in-progress pics. Now there is a spike in interest (of which I will tell you more in another post) and I had to keep my elbows in check and keep my fingers flying on the keyboard so that the story can continue. 

This is about a hybrid threadwork pattern from my tatting buddy, Anita Barry, where she tatted the body of a cat, sewed it to a purse, and embroidered the details! And she graciously permitted me to share her pattern which has meticulously laid out details. Thankfully I had saved some of our correspondence and am going to let her exuberant voice take over ....

Tatted  FanCatstic  Purse  Pattern © 2018 Anita Barry

"This is a one-of-a-kind purse. A keepsake and an heirloom. It’s usable, durable and glamorous!

This pattern was created for a competition with a “fan” theme. I didn’t want to create the normal handheld fan so I looked for quilted fan ideas and items you can make from the image of a fan.

One of the quilts I saw was of a cat. The body of the cat looked like a fan. I liked the idea and made this project.

Part of this project came from an existing pattern. So I give that designer credit right up front It’s great to like other’s designs! Give them credit.
Using Victoria’s lace Collar, by Gloria Crowther, Gloria’s Tatting book ©1988, for the fan paddles of FanCatstic

That’s how this project came to be. It was a fabulous creation even though it wasn’t a ribbon winner in the competition it was designed for.

Tell peeps to have fun creating this project."

I didn't want to interrupt the flow of her story with my own text. As you can see, the images are self-explanatory and show you most of the process. Other details are in the PDF. 
I will share my own tatted version in another post.

And this same pattern led to another mini-pattern which is travelling the world! Stay tuned!

Many Many thanks to Anita for this cute pattern and purse and hope you have fun!

17 comments:

  1. I like the interpretation of the fan theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you highlighting FanCatstic! I had doses of inspiration from others, a huge cup of imagination and dash of creativity. 😃 Some things are based on hopes & dreams. FanCatstic took a lot of time to create the cat-shaped purse to stitch the tatting onto. But, I had fun assembling the pieces and creating this cat-fun tatted purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a fun project with inspired creativity, Anita! Thanks for sharing the process and pattern 💖

      Delete
  3. This is a fabulous project! Our local County Fair has a collaboration Division. I think this would do well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Śliczna torebka kotek :)
    Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and it absolutely deserves its name!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undoubtedly wordplay at its best, Nin! 💕

      Delete

  6. I am Ms. Beate Heister, a German entrepreneur, investor, and shareholder in the discount supermarket chain Aldi. I donate 25% of my personal wealth to charitable causes around the world. I have also pledged the remaining 25% to private individuals this year. I have decided to donate €1,500,000.00 to you. This is part of my pledge for this year's charity project. If you are interested in my donation, please contact me for more information.
    Best regards
    Ms. Beate Heister
    Managing Director of the Beate Group.
    Please write to my official email address:
    heisterbeate06@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete