Thursday 6 June 2019

chipping and churning

Pin It now!
..... but chip in please.

For over a month now, on and off, I’ve been chipping at the Tatting Resources page.
It was being neglected, and also becoming disorganized what with increasing links.
Updating it seemed like a good opportunity to overhaul. Reorganising into neater compartments, more logical categories, and consistent font.


It is tedious and time-consuming. The bright spots are when I stumble on to posts with 'forgotten' tips/techniques or 'new' ones. During my search I came across plenty of interesting posts and sites (quite distracting ;-D). And this one tops them all – images of Mary Konior’s very own tatted lace, many of which are in her books. They got to actually hold the lace at Tat Days!!

Categorisation is not easy. My friend Jane McLellan readily answered my questions, clearing the path. And I now see that she has added her tips and pictorial links on the right panel of her blog. Thanks, Jane :-)))

Mind you my page is Still very much a work in progress – with loads of links still left to add. There will also come a day it will revert to draft in order to systematize the formatting before uploading again. Just thought I’d share and ask for your opinion as well as input – if you find something missing, or would like change or to add, chip in please.

Soon there will be a new page dedicated to Designing – tutorials, lessons, process, diagramming, and so on.

6 months since I asked your opinion about my posts. Time to review - do you think there has been some improvement in my presentations? I've tried to consciously reduce the text. All left-aligned now ;-D I could put fewer pics, but it is so difficult to choose! 
And sorry, Carollyn, I have too much of a backlog to leave the posts up for long ;-P 

14 comments:

  1. Me thinks you're entering the field of library science in tatting??? Diane could probably comment more astutely than I, but my short time shelving books, checking them in and out, and tidying the magazine rack left me with the feeling like the work is never done! That said, make sure you find enjoyment in the task!
    Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about fonts, alignment and such; one can only control the programs on your own devices and never the programming done by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I just like to keep things neat so that I can find what I need. I frequently use the page to get to links and it was frustrating to not find them there. Yes, it is an unending task but I shall persevere ;-P
      The most frustrating aspect is the fonts/formatting! I have to keep redoing edits and sometimes give up.

      Delete
  2. It’s a big job, keeping the reference section tidy. Yes, I think your posts are much better now, much more succinct, I don’t get that eyes-glazing-over feeling. Well done. It’s not easy to change your style. I don’t think there are too many photos. As long as they’re not huge and taking too long to download, having a lot of pictures is not problematic. IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, that is a relief, Jane, thanks :-D I keep culling back the text hoping ...
      Interestingly the pics automatically convert to between 50-80KB once uploaded to the blog. In my compy even the jpg is around 500-700KB and the original is 1-2MB (in the smallest setting).

      Delete
  3. Your amazing with organization and I will consider your question on favorites to ask for. It would be fun to have some books in different levels of tatting skills printed for a nice hard copy reference. I enjoy placing tabs to quickly go to. But nowadays I guess that old fashion. So with that said it will be interesting how you index everything on line😃💖💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carollyn, I've only included free online resources - tuts & patterns. Craftree is the place to look for books!
      But I do wish there was some way I could access all the tips and tweaks and techniques you share in your blog! Without any search words or tags, the search is unsuccessful despite the treasure of info you share!

      Delete
  4. Your resources page seems to have grown in size since I looked at it last. Thank you so much for taking the time to find this information, organise it and share it with us! I have definitely learned a lot from your joins pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it has, Lavi, despite the font now being smaller ;-D And more to come ...

      Delete
  5. Bluff City Tatter7 June 2019 at 20:45

    Wow. Thanks so much for such a beautifully organized resource. As a beginner tatter, this resource will be super helpful for when I start tackling new techniques. I know this was a huge undertaking.

    I also loved seeing the photos of Mary Konior's lace. I love her patterns. I wish her book wasn't out of print because I would like to have a copy and haven't broken down and paid the $100 or more I see it listed for online yet, but I may have to soon. I really like the look of her patterns. And the photos of her tatting were amazing. I was sorry to read the story of her family not appreciating it until after she died and they realized it was worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BCTatter :-)
      Yes her books are too pricey and times 70 when converted to my currency, excluding shipping !!! To me, it is fleecing by tatters who put the books up for sale/auction (the used ones) at such steep prices & I don't wish to be part of it.

      Delete
  6. I find it very moving to see the work of Mary Konior. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lilas :-) The comments left there made me realise many of us may not have seen it back in 2010.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your tips and links' pages, I use them often! Please don't change your personal style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command, Ninetta 😄💖🌹

      Delete