Sunday 15 November 2015

Sewing lace

Pin It now!
The Forgotten Lace
I simply Cannot rely on my memory ! 
So many items that I’ve made & gifted down the years have just vanished from my memory box :-(

Last week, when my MIL sent in some sewing/refitting of petticoats, I asked her to send along a fit sample to refer to. She loves crochet laces along the hemline, and has always had hand-crocheted laces sewn on – mostly her own !

Turned out one of the laces was made by her DIL ! Moi? Quand?
It does have my preference of working the lace from side to side (width-wise) till the required length. Imagine having to crochet an almost 2 meter long chain & then working each row lengthwise ! Messy. (I’ve done it for a couple of my Grandma’s petticoat laces, though, when I did not have too many books/patterns to choose from).
I need to rummage through my books to find the pattern … will update when I do. If I can rely on my memory to remind me later ;-P
I like the fact that this pattern can be made as broad or narrow as desired/required !!!
Above are a few very quick pics I took, before sending it back to her. Didn’t have time to iron ….

But time to crochet a New broad lace for her !!!

*****************

What this post is really about is the way my MIL sewed on the lace to the fabric edge.
Note : These are not new edgings – many have been in use for decades, switching to new fabric …. 

Sewing Lace
in 2 easy steps

I like the way the edging is machine-sewn, in 2 simple steps. Here are a couple of process pics …
Place right sides touching & sew along the edge.

STEP 1  
Place lace along hemline : Right side of lace touching the Right side of fabric/hem.
Sew over, along the edges. 

STEP 2  
Turn the lace over (‘open’ towards the right), 
so that both lace & fabric are right side up. 
Top-stitch as close to edge of fabric, as possible. 
 TADA !

TIP : There is only one thing I would do differently. In the above pics, the fabric hem is completely sewn, before the lace is being attached ; thus it has 3 layers already. Add to that the lace, & then the turned down lace & fabric … and you have many layers to sew over.
To reduce the bulk, fold of fabric just once (simply tacked in place), then follow the 2 steps above. This would eliminate a couple of fabric layers, as well as the sewing lines.


But I do like the result ! Quick, too, and very durable !
Of course, if one does not want any part of sewing to be seen, then this process will not work, especially the 2nd top-stitch step. In the end, one needs to consider where & for what purpose the edging/lace is to be attached & how it is to be used.


I’m certain most of you already know & do this. But you can understand why I have to post, right ? This is my memory deposit for a future ‘cloudy’ day ;-P

*****************
My Mom-in-Law’s Crochet Laces

My MIL has done tons of crochetwork – making multiple sets for gifting, or personal use, etc. – ranging from doilies (in all shapes & sizes), edgings, laces, to entire patchwork bedsheets !!! I will share some of her work over time …
Here are a couple of her other petticoat laces (the ones she sent me to sew on) : 

As you can see, I’ve completed only step 1 in this case.

Both steps completed in this case.

The one pictured in the 'tutorial' above

*****************

In Conversation

A bit of ‘news’ … I’ve added a new page to the blog, titled ‘My Tutorials’. It is still under collation, though.

I added some explanation to my previous post ‘Kitty with an Auxiliary Tale’ 
I realized that for many who haven’t seen the pattern, my working of the face may seem confusing. And I had not explained my rationale, anyways !

So please click on links to check out both :-)





10 comments:

  1. I love crocheting broad edgings! I haven't done it for a while, but I've been considering making some again. It seems that women's clothing shrinks more than men's, and I've thought that I nice bit of lace added to the hem would do the trick. However, I was thinking of butting the edges together and using a zig-zag stitch. After seeing your pictures, I believe your way to be more secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane :-) It definitely is more secure & easier to sew ... neater looking too, perhaps.

      Delete
  2. So many things to say :) love the crochet laces and the very top and mom in laws top one is a real beauty. We call the line of stitching close the the edge "top stitching" and glad you brought it up, It really make the work beautiful and finished looking. I too would prefer no hemming and make it hemmed as you add the lace for less layers. I was taught in school to always pre-wash before making anything for several reasons and shrinkage is one of them, As always Great tips and reminders thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the term, Carollyn ... I am very bad when it comes to sewing terms :-( I will update post ... Very true, about pre-washing, too. I do it myself, to remove any sizing &/or starch, especially when working with cottons. These, however, are my MIL's - she had stitched them a year or so back when she was still able to.... Now after her 2nd knee surgery, she can't, hence had to send it across to me.
      Thank you for your educational comment :-)

      Delete
  3. I too have a soft spot for crochet work and like your MIL have created tons of it, most of it gifted. Thank you for explaining the way to attach the lace. Your tutorials are great and the pictures just make them so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernice :-)) Would love to see more of your crochet work ! I'm glad my posts add some slight value :-)
      Hugs

      Delete
  4. Such neat crochet lace! Good way to attach it, neat and secure, thanks for showing us. Yes, blogging is a good way of keeping a record for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane :-) So glad you all appreciate this option of sewing . Can't rely on my frazzled memory ;-)

      Delete
  5. These borders are beautiful. I have never tried one myself but I am going to look for an easy patten now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne :-) You are very talented & am sure you'll do a great job ... looking forward to seeing it :-)

      Delete