Tuesday 4 November 2014

Sewing Away I

Pin It now!
The Classic Pincushion


Inspiration : Jane McLellan


This is a ‘welcome back’ post for Jane McLellan – I’ve been waiting for your return, Jane, to post this :-) I would never have garnered the courage to make it, if it wasn’t for you !
And the tutorial is just Great ! (click on names above, for respective posts)

It is a compromise, utility-first pincushion, made in a hurry. I’m happy as it is my first attempt, but not satisfied as I did not follow on what I had in mind. That will have to be for a later date.
I was surrounded by a lot of sewing projects & desperately needed a pincushion. Hence, I simply used some leftover fabric strips from a WIP & made it. Very quick, Very easy ! Great way to use up some scrap fabric! DH loved it & I'm using it ;-)


Happy Sewing :-)

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for waiting for me before you showed your pincushion! It looks great. As you can see on the tutorials, there are a lot of possibilities, but the straightforward version is quick and functional - who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jane. This quick functional version has served it's purpose well ! Artistic versions can follow at leisure :-))

      Delete
  2. I really like the fabric you used. It seems forever pincushions have been, not just red but, RED! It is nice to have a variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)) The fabric is 100% cotton, hand-block-printed. I was using it to make a nightdress & this pincushion was made from the scrap ! Only 6 inches diameter required.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I've wanted to make one for ages, but never really got down to it till now. And now I feel the urge to make more ;-)))

      Delete
  4. Ah, sewing. I really must learn how someday. Or "relearn" if you count the pair of boxer shorts I made in school when I was 13 :)

    I agree with the others and like the fabric you've used. Pretty pins too, for that matter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxer shorts, really ?! We started with a humble handkerchief at age 10 or 11. Even that hand-stitching was a chore then. Learned the basics of machine sewing from my Mom later. Wish I could be as good as her!

      I prefer white pearl-headed pins, but they were out of stock. So bought 2 sets of these & have grown to like them, too :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, though it was a very basic pattern (no zippers or buttons) and all done on machine. I don't think we ever did learn hand sewing.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pincushion, I hope to have a go when I get time.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret :-)
      Hope to see your version, too !

      Delete