Saturday 25 October 2014

Tatting SOUP*

Pin It now!
The last few weeks, I’ve been in a kind of tatting SOUP zone – *Sewing On / Using Pieces of earlier tatting .
  • It’s a way of getting ‘rid’ of my motif stash.
  • It’s a way of utilizing my tatting & beautifying stuff around me.
  • It’s a way of assuaging my ‘guilt’ of wanting to buy more & more materials & books ;-)
  • And it’s a way of justifying “tatting away” !

Yup, we’ve all been there ; hey, we’re still there. This is a perpetual cycle :-)
»»»»»» ¤««««««

Perking up Envelops


These envelops were part of a gift. The larger cream/ecru one for adults & the smaller green & blue ones for kids.
I used fabric glue – just a few dabs here & there – to keep the motifs in place. If required, they can be picked off easily & re-used elsewhere.
Motifs used :
Hummingbird designed by flootzavut (Sarah Warren) (free pattern shared on InTatters).Details here.
Acorn designed by Leanne Boyd (free pattern shared on InTatters & facebook). Details here .
Roses are Red designed by Victats.(free pattern here). Details here
Three-leaf Clover designed by Joelle Patterson (3 free patterns here)
Peace & Tolerance Tiny Heart designed by Mónica Manceñido (free pattern here) Details here
»»»»»» ¤««««««

Cheering up Table Napkins


Adore these motifs that inspired me to learn Interlocking Rings using shuttle ! Well, they’ve been given some pride of place on white self-patterned linen napkins. 
I machine-embroidered a decorative scalloped edging using rayon thread in colors similar to each motif.
In order to hide the corners (the multiple layers of fabric prevented smooth angling of the decorative stitch), I finger-tatted a tiny basic ring with many picots & appliquéd it over the messy stitching !

  


Motifs used : 
Frivole’s Rose & Crown motif (free pattern here) Details here





»»»»»» ¤««««««

Brightening up Kitchen Towels


I have 35 of these motifs, tatted more than 10 years back, for another of my MIL’s sari. But by then, she had outgrown her preference for tatting on sari ;-P The tatting seems so amateurish now. Sewing them on to some kitchen towels I stitched from an old cotton bed sheet (re-purposing!). The appliquéing is still in progress.

»»»»»» ¤««««««

There’s more tatting SOUP on the burner, but that post is for another day.

How do You use up your stash of lovely tatting pieces ?

Happy tatting :-))

14 comments:

  1. Great ideas for small motifs. I really love the linen napkins. That would make a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mb :-) These napkins Actually were a wedding gift to us (along with a beautiful cane holder)! It’s only now that I’ve thought of ‘uplifting’ them a bit.
      I agree, these would make a great gift.

      Delete
  2. the yellow motifs look great on the kitchen towels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tally Tatty :-)
      Keeping in mind the ‘rough’ work these towels will be put to (unlike napkins), I did not spend time on an edging.

      Delete
  3. I also like the tatting on the linens. Love that yellow thread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a heap, Teri :-))
      That is a terrific motif pattern from Frivole.
      My MIL loves bright & rich colors & I quite liked this yellow & green combo, as well as the pattern. Isn’t it a happy coincidence that 12-13 years later I used the exact same combination (with addition of black) in my working of your Dandelion Chain Link Bookmark pattern ! Love Anchor Mercer threads :-)

      Delete
    2. I love that thread too! Yes, the color combination works!!

      Delete
  4. Very good ideas and great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Emilie :-)) Just trying to reduce my collection before I start some new tatting ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love green and yellow and that is very cute, but I have been looking for an acorn pattern and I now belong to Intatters so I will be making these little cuties! nice post love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I forgot to say I also love that rose too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carollyn :-)
      I, too, think this is a beautiful acorn pattern - quite realistic And artistic !
      Since I've blogged about all these motifs (except the last yellow ones - not sure where I got the pattern that long back) before, I've provided links to the posts where all details to each free pattern are provided.
      Hope to see your workings soon :-))

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :-) You are always so sweetly appreciative - keeps me motivated :-)

      Delete