Wednesday 20 September 2017

snood and a wannabe

Pin It now!
Remember the snood I made recently from Linda’s Split Chain Doily ? My MIL loved it and immediately asked me to make her one, albeit a very small one. I chose this …

Flowery Meadow (for snood)
“Tatting Patterns and Designs”
Blomqvist and Persson (Dover, p58)
  

For a hair net/snood, I needed a semi-dense pattern and liked this. However, all except the joining picots have been discarded, for practical reasons when used & washed.

It got me thinking as I worked the looong outer chains, how picots have their advantages and disadvantages. To list a few …
Without Decorative/Free Picots
  • Clean, crisp lines of the design become highlighted. 
  • Quicker to tat, too.
  • No hassle about even picots, picot gauges, etc.
  • Easy to keep track when joining since they are the only picots there.
With Decorative/Free picots
  • Enhance the lacy, airiness of a piece.
  • Decorative picots come in numerous forms and can add a lot of effect and interest.
  • Picots at regular intervals help us keep track/count of stitches, which is especially handy in case of long chains and large rings !
Since I didn't know the final size, I decided to cut off after each round in order to stop when needed.
Used one shuttle and ball, cutting after each round instead of climbing out. Simple techniques call for simple tatting J
Techniques used : directional tatting, clover, rosette center, join to the right.

The design element that caught my eye was the clover arrangement.
Row 1 has outward facing clover rings,
Row 2 has inward facing clovers, &
Row 3 again has outward facing clovers. (This row was not done, since the size seemed right for the snood).
And in Row 2, I really like how the clovers are joined as pairs !

Each round looked very pretty when completed, but I didn’t take pics.

Works out to 3½ inch diameter in Anchor size 40.
The complete doily will look good in colours to do justice to it’s name. A snood for MIL called for something subdued.
Added a Lock Chain string with rings at either end – normal ring and tatting over tails at the starting point, and SSSR tatting over tail for the end. No sewing in ends !
I intend to tat a few more snoods for her in different colours & patterns, once I know for sure that this size is fine.

how far can I go ?! 
In fact this is a challenge I’m setting myself – trying to design a larger pattern. I don’t know how far I can go with it, but this is the very first stage. Already I need to change the picot position in 2nd round so that 3rd round reflects the long ring effect of inner circle instead of oblongs.
I'm going to start over tonight to see how it looks. At present there is a lot of ruffling as well.

What do you think ? Any suggestions ?

tatting simple patterns can be just as exciting !
stay tatting stay happy 


14 comments:

  1. Lucky MIL! Yes, picots can really alter the appearance of a piece. The modern trend is for cleaner lines, but a traditional look can be very light and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, Jane, I'm wearing the snood outdoors, too ;-P
      I definitely agree about the traditional light look with picots. It is when I worked the long chains that I also realised how I missed them in keeping count. It was difficult to multitask without those picots at regular intervals ;-P

      Delete
  2. beautiful patterns and Flowery Meadow delight with simplicity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks very nice with picots, too, Renata. It really was a delightful and quick tat - 2 evenings only :-D

      Delete
  3. Lovely snood, that's a nice way to use little doilies. Great start for your pattern, just because you're asking my suggestion is to print a polar grid, then enjoy your project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value everybody's suggestions even if I don't specifically ask, Nin ;-D So always feel free to suggest and criticise.
      Thanks for reminding me of the polar grid !!! I was simply laying the tatting down and sketching possible next round(s) ;-P

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ah, I Do need luck with designing this pattern, Anetta :-)))

      Delete
  5. I have always loved the look of snoods. However, except for my college years, my hair has been short, so I've never researched any ideas on making them. I like the way you've adapted doily patterns. I agree with your assessment of picots. Sometimes I look for that clean, crisp look, and other times I want the frilliness that comes with picots. I have no suggestions for proceeding with ideas, but I will be watching with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I used to crochet snoods for my sis (before she cut her hair short) in so many different colours and she always carried them off beautifully. I've stuck to black for myself so far. Now I want the tatting to show, hence venturing into neutral shades :-)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful snood. Your challenge looks really challenging for me. I can see only dot picots 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughty, Usha, you can stop pulling my leg ;-P

      Delete