Tuesday 25 July 2017

forgetfulness !

Pin It now!
3 acts of forgetfulness came together for this quick and functional adaptation of a doily into a hair bun (jooda) net.
  A few days back I realized that I was completely out of hair bun nets and the one I was using already had the frayed elastic knotted for tension. I had forgotten to replenish my stock!
  Around the same time, while doing some housecleaning of my tablet files, I came across Linda S Davies’ Split Chain doily pattern saved there - don’t know when/why.
  And the same day, while working on a sidelined project, I realized that I’d again forgotten how to do the split chain (I always get the 1st hs but fumble on the 2nd hs) :-(
  These coincidences meant something, right ?!
Got right down to it & completed in 3 evenings….


I loved the triangle-type rounds in this doily – such a lovely uncommon effect. And the additional bonus was that I could stop at any round without affecting the pattern.

Remember this one in size 40 ? Ahem, it’s still an UFO & may be too small for my purpose.

I chose to do this in Anchor size 20, in a neutral colour, for quick completion & immediate use.
I've always worn black nets, but the tatting Should be visible - hence colour.

Since I wanted a slightly cupped look, I snugged the chains tighter in rounds 2 & 3.
Then I eased up a bit on latter rounds, tatting normally.
My preference is for nets with smaller spaces. Hence I decreased the stitches in Rounds 5 & 6.
Rounds 7 & 8 were tatted exactly as per pattern.

Despite peering closely at the process pics accompanying the pattern, I may’ve made a mistake in Rnd 7 chains, resulting in a wavy rather than spiked chain; still, happy with it.
The cupping decreased tremendously as the doily grew and lay fairly flat ! 
Diameter is 7 inches from tip to tip.

Instead of encapsulating an elastic band, I left my options open by doing a Lock Chain string with a black wooden bead at either end.
If woven around lower rings of Round 7, the string creates a nice edging/trim when pulled tight. Very vintage and matronly :-P  (see lead collage)
But my hair needed the string around the outermost arches. Now that’s a proper net!
And I am so very pleased to state that I wore it to sleep last night and all was well !!!! Yippeee :-D The hubster approves of it, too - after all it is he who will see it - I have yet to grow eyes at the back of my head ;-P

This was kind of a tentative pilot project in many ways, but it’s success has paved the way for many more. I’ve been collecting patterns for my nets for a while now.


Split Chain in Directional Tatting :
Look closely and you will notice an extra half stitch indicated by the arrows. Here I was working chains frontside but using Marie Smith’s method for split chain. In later rounds I used  Dora Young’s Knotless technique for the frontside chains.
Another aspect of SCH that I'd forgotten! Hence a reminder to self about working the split chain in directional (fs/bs) tatting :
For frontside split chain – DYK or original method
For backside split chain – Marie Smith version

Techniques used : fs/bs tatting (with chains frontside), split ring, split chain - DYK and Marie Smith methods, lock chain, lock join.

I enjoyed tatting this up and it’s functionality just makes it that much more special. Linda has such amazing patterns on her blog, especially her 3D flowers !

Mission successfully accomplished. Now to complete the UFO net – errr, now where did I keep it? Huh, about that ummm forgetfulness – may be eat more almonds then ?!

Many many thanks to Linda Davies 
  for her wonderful patterns and tutorials Z


happily tatting always :-))

11 comments:

  1. I hope you wear it out and about and not just at night! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like split chains :) Very nice doily:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tatted hair accessories and this is a beauty well done and I do love the link she has some very pretty patterns thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this, beautifully tatted split chains, now let's hope you won't look for it and forget you're wearing it! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a new hair bun holder too! I found a fresh-water pearl necklace that had been broken in our move. Perhaps I could add them to a doily pattern and make an elegant one....or more elegant....or not! Good tip to snug on round 2 & 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, Jane :-)))

    Split chains are great, Anetta! But I realise that I need to refresh my memory more often ;-P

    Carollyn, when I strung it the 'matronly' way, I remembered your exquisite baby bonnet. It makes a nice frill around, but will need some tweaking to convert to bonnet.

    Hilarious, Ninetta :-D

    Thanks, Sue :-)

    Ah, pearls would look nice, Mel :-) I can't use them coz I use net when sleeping, too. But one for the outdoors perhaps?
    I'm just glad it worked so well in size 20 but will also make a few in size 40 for the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. and useful, too, Grace ;-D I've been using it daily ever since and it's time it had a partner!

      Delete
    2. I shall look forward to that!

      On the subject of split chains, I forgot to mention that I use Linda Davies' tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXkMb2BV2g&feature=youtu.be
      I also refer to it when I'm doing CWJ.
      I especially take note at about 2:20, where she says, "This is the most important part of the stitch ... the reason so many people give up..."

      Cheers!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Grace :-) I remember the watching the video. My refresher for SCh is Lene Bjorn's diagram in her Snowflakes book. I only need a reminder at times, and her diagrams/instructions work well.

      I am already using my new Septagon snood with good effect ;-)

      Delete