Saturday 20 December 2014

Handmade Cards I

Pin It now!
Happy Holidays !

Season's Greetings 
A Very Happy & Peaceful New Year 2015

saying it with an assortment of my handmade cards
(string art on paper, abstract collage, watercolours)


 


String Art / Embroidery on Paper

  


Watercolours
 


Collage Symbolism / Abstract




New Year Card :
The collage candles, my original artwork, has a symbolic message/wish conveyed through the size of candles, their relative placement, & their colours, as well as the intensity of the flames. If the past was black & the present bleak, the future will be very bright. The past is forgotten, the present is waning away, the future is looking brightly ahead. Or the past & present are/will become shining or treasured memories that will remain alive in us (as reflected by the flames). Shadows have not been added, because the black & grey candles (past & present) themselves act as a shadow to our life ahead.
I've used some sort of glossy paper for the candles & thin glossy magazine paper for flames [recycled]. In order to give it depth/3-dimension, the molten wax has not been glued down completely, & the candles themselves are glued over a thicker layer of paper. The telltale shadowy lines indicate the raised candles.


The string art on paper patterns have been taken from a book, the title of which I do not have. If somebody knows, I would appreciate you sharing the info so that due credit can be given ... These were made back in the late 80's, so the book predates that. It was a hardbound coffee-table kind of book with loads of lovely patterns, kindly lent by a friend.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. I especially like the string art cards. I have made many of them and get my patterns from stitchingcards.com and form-a-lines.com. You can download and print patterns very inexpensively and all the instructions are included. Even some free patterns to try out. Sorry, I don't know the author of your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mb ! My sis & I went through a phase where we were each doing the same pattern but with our own choice of colours ;-) I will check out the sites you mentioned - I'm sure they will be inspiring. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the cards and the candles are my favorite! hey did you get my message about the doily? I found the pattern and where to get the download.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of proud of the candles one myself ;-P
      I realise now, that the cards I made were more like card-toppers. But I like the simplicity & directness of my designs.
      Thanks for letting me know about the message, Carollyn - I had to discontinue notification otherwise there was constant 'bombardment' of pinning notices all day ;-)

      Delete